- About us
- Get involved
- Programs & events
- Featured Reads
- Volunteer Info Hub
- Contact us
- Volunteer now
Welcome to the Community Engagement Volunteer Training Program!
Ready to learn about volunteering with the community as an SFU ambassador?
You’ll find many diverse opportunities to make a difference in the community through the SFU Surrey–TD Community Engagement Centre. This free canvas course gives you the background you’ll need to gain valuable volunteer experience as a representative of Simon Fraser University. You’ll also find reflection activities and quizzes here to assess your learning.
After working through the course modules, you will be able to do:
- Explain community volunteerism and identify key qualities of being a volunteer in the community.
- Outline the history and identify the reasons for the university’s engagement with the community.
- Identify the benefits of community-university partnerships and explain how volunteers contribute to these relationships.
- Explain and apply safety guidelines and procedures.
- Identify your personal values and demonstrate how these manifest themselves in your actions and decisions as you follow a volunteer code of conduct.
- Describe the importance of your individual role in creating a respectful, inclusive and supportive community.
- Demonstrate effective communication techniques.
- Identify the core ethical values for volunteering in the community and apply your knowledge of these principals in practical volunteer settings.
- Apply your knowledge of expectations when you consider volunteer opportunities and make a commitment to volunteer.
- Reflect thoughtfully on your own sense of civic responsibility.
You may return to this training at any time during the year to review any of the modules.