INFORMATION SESSION - ALL FALL 2018 GDE PROGRAMS - JUNE 5, 2018
- are self-directed: you decide what aspects of your practice you inquire, investigate, and research.
- learn what matters: our programs have direct practical application to your classroom practice.
- know community matters: as a member of this cohort model, you'll be in the same collaborative learning community throughout the two-year program.
- utilize foundations of support: you will be supported by instructors and mentors who are or have recently been classroom teachers.
- are teacher-inquirers: you'll engage in teacher-inquiry to investigate your interests and passions.
- start where they are: all experience levels are welcome.
- strive to be the teacher they want to be: you can work to better align your values and practice.
- can apply for a salary upgrade! Completion of this program qualifies you for a salary upgrade from TQS category 4 to 5, 5 to 5+ or 6 to 6+ in districts with that category.
Our Program Offers
- Extended professional development focusing on inquiry and professional questions of interest
- Themed exploration of current theories and principles within content-specific and interdisciplinary learning
- Combination of coursework and field studies throughout the program
- A collaborative learning community (cohort) of 20-30 teacher learners
- Ongoing support of a Faculty Associate, mentor and mentor group of 6-9 teacher learners
- Optional opportunity to ladder diploma credits into a Master of Education in Educational Practice (Note: acceptance into the MEd EP is not guaranteed).
At A Glance
- Start: Fall 2018 (September)
- Apply by: July 6, 2018
- Length: 2 years (6 terms)
- Format: Evening or weekend classes. Classes run from early September until early June, plus a one-week Summer Institute in August (no classes in July).
- Benefits: Opportunity for TQS Upgrade. Move from TQS category 4 to 5 or from category 5 to 5+.
- Units: 30
- Admission Requirements: Undergraduate degree CGPA of 2.5, BC Teaching Certificate
- Tuition 2017/2018: $301.80/unit (approx. 5 units/term)
SFU acknowledges the traditional territories of the Squamish (Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw), Tsleil-Waututh (səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ), Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm), and Kwikwetlem (kʷikʷəƛ̓əm) Nations, on whose lands the Burnaby campus resides.