On this Page

Master of Applied Science Program (MASc)

To qualify for admission to the MASc. program, a student must meet the University admission requirements stated in section 1.3.4 of the Graduate General Regulations and must have a Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in electrical engineering, computer engineering, engineering science or a related area. International applicants, please also refer to the inetrnaitonal admission requirements based on the country of your degree. 

Students must identify a faculty member willing to act as a supervisor.  Information regarding finding a supervisor can be found here. You can also look for a supervisor base on a specific research field

Masters of Engineering Program (MEng)

To qualify for admission to the MEng program, applicants must meet the minimum university requirements for admission. Domestic and international equivalent requirements by country can be found here.  English language waivers, conditional or qualifying admissions are never granted for this program.


Doctor of Philosophy Program (PhD)

To qualify for admission to the PhD program, a student must satisfy the University admission requirements stated in section 1.3.4 of the Graduate General Regulations and

  • must have a master's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, computer science or a related field
  • have submitted evidence that he or she is capable of undertaking substantial original research in engineering science
  • have identified a faculty member willing to act as a supervisor

Information regarding finding a supervisor can be found hereYou can also look for a supervisor base on a specific research field

English Language Requirements

Please note we do not require GRE.

English Language Competence for the university can be found under Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS) admission requirement page. 

Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate command of English sufficient to pursue graduate studies in the chosen field. 

International applicants will not be required to complete an English-language test if they have completed a degree at an institution where the language of instruction and examination was in English in a country where English is the primary language.



Internet-based TOEFL

93 with minimum of 20 in each category. In order to satisfy the requirement, scores must be achieved in a single test. TOEFL MyBest (super-scored) or TOEFL Essentials results will not be used. TOEFL iBT Home is accepted.

Paper-based TOEFL

580 and TWE 5

IELTS (academic)

overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section


overall 70; minimum 60 in each section

Pearson Academic (PTE)

overall 65; minimum 60 in all of their sections

Cambridge English Qualifications

C1 Advanced - minimum score of 193
C2 Proficiency - minimum score of 200



IELTS and TOEFL can be submitted electronically directly from the test centre. Releasing your results electronically to Simon Fraser University will update all current admission applications.

  • For TOEFL, SFU's Institution Code is 0999, a departmental code is not required. 
  • If ETS requires a departmental code please select the most appropriate choice from page 36 of the TOEFL Handbook
  • For IELTS, log in to the website of the IELTS test centre and click 'Apply for additional TRFs' in the left-hand menu of your results page. Fill out the application form online.
  • In India, the British Council is able to transmit electronically to SFU. Please use the following information when submitting your test scores: Organization ID 2036 - Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby BC, V5A 1S6


Cambridge or CAEL testing results should be sent directly from the testing centre in a sealed envelope for processing to Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.


Send a scan of your unofficial test results with your name and test number clearly visible to GPS tickets along with your name and GA or student number. Allow a minimum of 1 week for verification of your results.

It can take a minimum of 3-4 weeks for your results to update on your application portal. If you have waited 4 weeks and still do not see your results updated, please send GPS a ticket that includes:

  • Your GA or student number
  • The date on which you released your results to SFU
  • Your unofficial test results with your name and test information clearly visible
  • Your application deadline for your program of application

Please note GPS' inquiry response time is approximately 3 business days.

In case of any inconsistency of information on this page, GPS's admission requirement page will act as the final version. 


Required Documents

To complete your application, you will need to submit the following:

  • Statement of Interest 
  • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Unofficial Transcripts 
  • Three (3) Contacts of References 

Any unlisted supporting docuemnts can be uploaded under "Optional or Additional Documents".


  • We do not require copies of degree parchments or certificates. A parchment would only be required if your official transcript does not show the date and title of your credential. 
  • Transcripts must be in English and/or French, or must be fully bilingual including one of these languages (all words and notations must be in French or English, in addition to any other language).
  • For transcripts not in English or French, an official translation must be supplied. An official translator must include, as part of their translation, a declaration that they received an official, sealed copy of the transcripts that they then proceeded to translate.

Official Transctipt

We do not require any official transcripts at the time of application, all documents should be uploaded into your application.  

If offered admission to the program, please arrange for your official transcripts to be mailed to:

Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (GPS)
Maggie Benston Student Services Centre 1100
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5A 1S6


Typical Costs: Tuition and Fees

The M.A.Sc. and PhD programs are both classified as Research Programs. The M.Eng. program is classified as Premium Fee Programs. Please see the calendar for the latest tuition fee for our programs. Please see the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies page for explanation about tuition type and fees a graduate student is expected to pay as well as the typical costs of being a graduate student as SFU.

Financial Assistance

If a recommendation of admission is made to a research program, financial support in the form of a research assistantship (RA) will be offered by the faculty member who will be acting as the graduate student's senior supervisor. A successful applicant may also apply for a teaching assistantship position (TA), however, a student is not normally offered a TA position in the first semester of enrollment. When a student has successfully completed 2 technical graduate courses (not including directed studies courses), he or she may apply for a graduate fellowship.

Applicants should review the Dean of Graduate Studies website for more information about entrance scholarships. Some are by nomination only and others can be applied for by current students or applicants, but the majority are competition-based and the School can only nominate 1-2 students. It is highly encouraged to Applicants that THEY NOT budget for the successful receipt of these scholarships.

Information about bursaries, which are awarded to those in financial need, can be found here.

Please remember that students who are not Canadian citizens and who require financial assistance to attend SFU must seek such assistance in their country of origin before arrival in Canada. Many of the outside awards offered to students at SFU (for instance, NSERC) are restricted to Canadian citizens or permanent residents.