You are invited to Get Philosophical! with us
Welcome future philosophers!
This isn't what you expected. At all. So we've pulled together some resouces to help you navigate remote classes and make life a little easier we hope.
...also, welcome to a virtual Department of Philosophy. We look forward to 'meeting' you!
Evan Tiffany, Chair of the department, teaches PHIL 120W: Moral and Legal Problems
Bruno Guindon teaches PHIL 110: Intro to Logic and Reasoning
a creative solution to a 120W assignment from students, Anita Lo and Nicole Feng
Holly Andersen teaches PHIL 144: Intro to Philosophy of Science, part of our Science Certificate
Sorry but we're not offering Procrastination105 this year :(
Dai Heide teaches PHIL 100W: Knowledge and Reality and PHIL 150: History of Philosophy
Nic Bommarito teaches PHIL 357: Selected Topics
meet our staff
Summer 2021: all advising is done remotely, by email (and phone or Zoom upon request). Please contact our Student Advisor, Mr. Jay Leardi, from your SFU email, and include your student ID#.
Download our Introduction to Course Planning to help with planning your courses.
Student success in remote instruction
This is a new online resource for students and instructors.
• Provides resources and strategies to help students succeed in remote learning environments, and brings together supports offered by diverse SFU campus partners.
• All members of the SFU community can enroll.
A free online course for all new incoming students that helps prepare them for their academic transition to SFU. Find out more.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
FASS First Year: information to help you prepare for enrollment and beyond, giving you the tools to be successful in FASS.
Community connection website
This gathers all virtual community connection events for all students, from all areas across campus.
Download the Faculty Of Arts and Social Sciences Guide to Course Selection
A co-curricular course that runs July-December.
• All the details students need to get started right during their first week, month and term
• Support building their second term schedule
• Learn about the SFU community including: student conduct and academic integrity; support fort learning in an online environment; helpful campus resources and how to recognize when they’re needed, e.g., My SSP, Health and Counselling, Careers, Learning Commons, myInvolvement, and Academic Advising.
SFU Philosophy News
- Grad Student news: Jenna Yuzwa WCPA Presentation
- BC Ethics Bowl to Bring Together High School Students and Experts on Local Issues
- Colloquium Series Announcement: Fall 2021 and Spring 2022
- Award news: Jingyi Wang
- Philosophy grad Bianca Verjee helps establish community among American Sign Language enthusiasts
- BC High School Ethics Bowl 2021