Term Updates: Summer 2023:
- Philosophy department: all PHIL courses are in person.
- If you need to speak with anyone in the Philosophy Department, including the undergraduate advisor, we ask that you email to book an appointment before coming to the Department. Instructors, TAs, and staff are available by email: see Contact page and People page.
- Undergraduate advising, program declarations: email Jay Leardi, the Undergraduate Advisor, at email@example.com (include student ID#)
- Summer Term deadlines and Academic dates. Final deadline to withdraw from a course, or to opt into the elective grade system: June 1 (for intersession), or July 2 (for summer term).
- New elective grade policy : P/CR/NC, pilot project from Spring 2021 to Summer 2023. List of exclusions for the new policy. Specifically for Philosophy:
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any requirement for a Major, Joint Major, Honours, or Minor in Philosophy (with the exception of PHIL 477 and 478).
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any prerequisite requirement for any PHIL course.
- Students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any requirement for the Ethics Certificate, or the Philosophy and Methodology of Science Certificate.
- Philosophy Majors and Honours students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any WQB requirement.
- Regular Grading policy for program requriements for other departments is still in effect.
- Information for students, including academic policies for current term
- My SSP app - 24/7 mental health support and counselling
- Student Bulletins published by Student Services
Updates revised: February 27, 2023
SFU Philosophy Events
Spring 2023 Colloquium Series 24 MarchMarch 24, 2023
Peter Railton, Michigan :: Climate Change and Quality of Life Friday March 24, 2023 Abstract:... read more
SFU Philosophy News
- 2023 BC Lower Mainland Ethics Bowl Report
- Blended learning: spotlight on SFU’s newest course designation
- MA Student Aaron Richardson at Aesthetics For Birds - Accessibility and the Problem of Alt Text
- Welcome to SFU Philosophy Kino Zhao and Greg Lauro
- Horban Award 2022
- Endre Begby SSHRC Insight Grant
How does philosophy 'work' in real life?
PSU News and Updates
- O.G. (Original/Regular Phil Club) where we deconstruct. discuss, and debate a broad overview and variety of topics in Philosophy, which could include ethical dilemmas.
- Sci-Fi Phil Club where we ponder things such as the existence of time, discuss the modalities of science fiction works (i.e. Interstellar, Marvel's Infinity War) and square up in philosophical dispute.