- Transfer Students
- Student Union
- What can you do with a sociology or anthropology degree?
- MA Programs
- PhD Programs
Graduate Studies Guide
- General Information
- MA in Sociology or Anthropology
- PhD in Sociology or Anthropology
- Committee Composition, Supervision and Choice of Topic
- Progress Reports
- Course Grade Appeals
- Graduate Student Offices, Computer Lab and Meeting Spaces
- Leaves and Withdrawals
- Applications for Program Extension
- Graduate Student Association
- Current Graduate Students
- News & Events
Dr. Dany Lacombe, Professor of Sociology, received her BA from Université de Sherbrooke and her MA and PhD from the University of Toronto. Her current and past research focuses on the transformation of particular events into social problems and moral panic. She is currently working on two projects that examine how prison and therapeutic ideologies hail their patients and, in the process, transform subjectivities. The first one, Sex Offender School, is an ethnography of a treatment program for incarcerated sex offenders. It explores the techniques of introspection, self-management and the changes of habits and thoughts a rehabilitated sex offender must deploy at the turn of the 21st century.
The second project, Mac’s Rehab, is a collaboration with an ex-con, a lifer struggling to remain clean on the outs. The project, which explores Mac’s journey from prison to the criminal world and from addiction to lecturing at SFU, investigates the impact of prison institutionalization and ideologies of addiction and mental illness on the process of rehabilitation. It also examines the role Mac's keepers and the helping profession, the students and Lacombe, and Mac himself played in solidifying the stream-lined, classic story of the redeemed ex-con.
PhD, University of Toronto
MA, University of Toronto
BA, Université de Sherbrooke
- Law as a Gendering Practice
Edited with Dorothy Chunn, 2000.
- Blue Politics: Pornography and the Law in the Age of Feminism (1994)
- Ideology and Public Policy: the Case Against Pornography (1988)