July 4th, 2023
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently announced a new temporary public policy which allows eligible foreign workers to study without a study permit. Please visit the IRCC webpage: Public policy allowing some work permit holders to study without a study permit for more information.
Due to ongoing regulatory changes by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), the information and handouts below may be updated frequently as information is released. Check this page often for up to date information.
Please Note: The above information is only applicable to current international students at SFU. While we do our best to ensure that information provided is accurate and current, please be aware that these are not legal documents and all information provided is subject to change at any time. Please refer to the individual guides above to see when the information was last updated.
For updated policies and legal information, it is your sole responsibility to refer to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, or other official direct sources, as applicable. If you have any questions or concerns, please check with an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist.
Employment and Work Permits
- Working On and Off Campus
- Co-op/SFU-Approved Internship Work Permit
- Instruction Guide: Co-op Work Permit Applications
- Post-Graduation Work Permit
- Instruction Guide: Post-Graduation Work Permit Applications
- Post-Graduation Work Permit Information Session for SFU Students (March 11, 2022)
- Application Timeline: Post-Graduation Work Permit
- Letter of Explanation
- Self-employment, entrepreneurship, and starting a business as an international student in British Columbia
- Social Insurance Number
- Protecting Your Social Insurance Number
- Social Insurance Number - Information for Newcomers