Evaluation is a powerful tool in community-based work. In this course, you’ll learn how to make replicable projects and processes, so your work can continue beyond your efforts as an individual. As you explore different methods of researching, gathering and presenting data, you’ll prepare an evaluation framework for your project that will help you share your work back with your community.
This course is reserved for students enrolled in the certificate program.
Currently not available for registration.
What you will learn
By the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Examine models of evaluation and assess their usefulness and appropriateness in different contexts
- Identify aspects of community-based evaluation, and explore how evaluation can be cyclical and iterative
- Prepare and implement an evaluation plan for your project
- Organize and illustrate data gathered from evaluation
- Predict challenges within community-based evaluation, and trouble-shoot these challenges as they arise
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Classes will include exercises, discussions, reflections and guest facilitators.
- In both class content and format, we aim to decolonize our approaches to community learning, by breaking down the systems we are challenging, and by building true relationships as the core of everything we do.
- We will share resources for you to read, listen to, and explore. We will let you know whether a resource is required/recommended, or for enrichment or deeper learning.
- In our learning community, you will also have the opportunity to share resources with one another. Wherever possible, we will provide options for accessing each text, share tools for accessibility, and build in time to discuss what we’ve learned in the resources.
- The Community Capacity Building Certificate is a Pass or Fail curriculum. Passing the program and receiving the certificate is determined based on attendance, participation, and the presentation on your community project.
We will provide all course materials online.
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.