Hosting Powerful Conversations: Introduction to World Cafe and Open Space Technology
This course is available at the following time(s) and location(s):
• Online access opens one week before the first date listed for pre-readings and assignments.
• Virtual classes run from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pacific Time.
• Final assignment due one week after last date listed.
What will I learn?
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theory and practice of World Café and Open Space Technology
- Determine the situations best suited to using World Café and Open Space Technology
- Identify and ask powerful questions
- Identify the pitfalls and promise of two techniques for sitting in circle, listening, learning and opening space for dialogue and positive change
How will I learn?
- Pre-readings and assignments
- Class discussions and exercises
- Recommended reading
Who should take this course?
This course is open to anyone who would like to learn more about hosting powerful, conversation-based methods for dialogue.
How will I be evaluated?
We will evaluate you based on your class participation.
Textbooks and learning materials
We will provide custom course materials.
Hardware and software requirements
You will need a computer that is connected to the internet so that you can access Canvas, our online course management system. You can check if your browser is compatible with Canvas by accessing Canvas guides here. We recommend you use Google Chrome or Firefox.
Also, you will need to enable your computer’s audio and microphone to participate in live sessions offered via videoconference.
You can find more information on our About Online Learning page.
Hear more about this course
"The skill in using Open Space and World Café is not so much the logistics of 'How do I facilitate it?' but rather, 'How do I come up with a good core question that we're dealing with?' and 'How do we create an invitation that is honest, that is authentic, and that gets people into the room?'" —Chris Corrigan