Legal Interpretation and Translation Certificate (Mandarin Chinese/English)
SFU offers the only legal interpretation and translation certificate program in Canada. In only 10 months part-time, you’ll graduate ready to work as an in-demand Mandarin Chinese/English translator or interpreter specializing in the legal field. You’ll also be well prepared for the exam to be nationally certified as a court interpreter.
Why this program?
- Complete the program in 10 months ready to work as a legal interpreter or translator
- Get hands-on training in the field by observing court proceedings in action
- Be ready to take the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC) exam for national certification as a court interpreter
- Graduate with a certificate that confers SFU alumni status
- Canada forecasts 8,100 new job openings in interpretation and translation between 2019 and 2028
- High demand for Mandarin/English interpreters and translators in B.C.
- Strongest employment prospects for professionals with specialized training in legal or scientific fields
- Legal interpreters and translators commonly employed by law firms, businesses, government agencies, international organizations and specialized translation and interpretation agencies
- Across Canada, wages for an interpreter or translator reach an average high of about $43/hour
To graduate, complete each course with a minimum grade of B-. (You must receive a minimum final grade of B- in each course before moving on to the next course.)
Sep 14, 2022–June 24, 2023
Class time: 9 hours/week
Homework: 2–3 hours/week
Field training: minimum 5 sessions (15 hours)
Wed 6:30 p.m.–9:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Sat 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Pacific Time
- Canadian Law for Legal Interpreters and Translators (LIT110)
- Comparative Legal Studies (LIT120)
- Legal Language and Legal Terminology Management (LIT130)
- Legal Translation (LIT140)
- Legal Interpreting I: Consecutive Interpreting (LIT150)
- Legal Interpreting II: Sight Translation (LIT160)
- Legal Interpreting III: Simultaneous Interpreting (LIT170)
- Professional Ethics and Conduct for Legal Interpreters and Translators (LIT180)
- Freelancing and Career Development for Legal Interpreters and Translators (LIT190)
- Field Training for Legal Interpreters and Translators (LIT200)
Included in tuition
$7,950 (same for international and domestic students)
$75 program application fee
We will evaluate your application based on your academic qualifications, proficiency in both English and Mandarin Chinese, and your performance on our entrance exam. See Application requirements for details.
Jeff Ji receives up to 50 calls a day from people with limited English proficiency all over the world. His work ranges from helping customers deal with banking issues, to assisting medical staff at a hospital.
After seeing firsthand through an SFU program how the legal system can help people, Li Ding is headed for law school.
Student Vicky Chio explains how the opportunity to facilitate communication between parties in legal matters inspired her to join the program.