English Language Requirement
English is the language of instruction at Simon Fraser University. All applicants, regardless of country of origin or citizenship status, will be required to demonstrate competence in the English language prior to admission. Competence is required in all four of the following skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing. Applicants to undergraduate programs must demonstrate English language competence in one of the following ways.
- Completion of the last three years of full-time secondary school education in English in Canada. A minimum grade of 60% in English 12, English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples or its equivalent in other provinces is required.
- Completion of the last three years of full-time secondary school education in English in a country in which the principal language of instruction is English. A minimum grade of C or 60% in senior level English is required.
- Completion of the last four years of full-time secondary school education in English at a recognized international school in a country in which the principal language of instruction is not English. A minimum grade of C or 60% in senior level English is required.
- Completion of IB Diploma Program including English A1 or A2 or English Literature and Performance (HL or SL) with a minimum grade of 3.
- Completion of a three unit English (ENGL) course or a certified W (writing intensive) course for which Simon Fraser University grants transfer credit, with a minimum grade of C-.
- Obtain a satisfactory score on one of the following English language proficiency tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS - Academic) with a minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no part less than 6.0.
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language internet based test) with an overall score of 88 or better with a minimum score of 20 in each of the four components (listening, speaking, writing, reading)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) with an overall score of 70, with no part less than 60.
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with an overall score of 65, and a minimum score of 60 in the Communicative Skills, including: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
Note that enrollment in first-year writing intensive courses requires higher grades than admission grades. See our FAQs.
For more information on the literacy requirements visit Literacy Requirements.
For information on Graduate (Master's and Doctoral) English language requirements please visit Dean of Graduate Studies