The Indigenous Student Centre respectfully acknowledges that Simon Fraser University is on unceded Coast Salish Territory - the traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), səl̓ilw̓ətaʔɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem) and Katzie Nations.
ISC Temporary Closure and Staff Availability
Out of an abundance of care, due to ongoing concerns related to COVID-19, and out of respect and concern for the health of our community members, the physical space of the Indigenous Student Centre is closed until further notice. ISC staff are working from home and are accessible to provide remote support for Indigenous students.
To connect with ISC staff with questions or for student support please email:
We will connect with you by return email to answer your question or set up a time to speak with you. We are happy to give you a call! You might connect with us about Aboriginal Emergency funding, counselling referrals, support referrals or just to chat. You can also connect directly with services such as Academic Advising, Financial Aid or Counselling. Links to these some of these supports are included below.
We hope to set up a weekly virtual ISC student space to connect with each other. Watch for emails and Facebook posts with details if you’d like to join. This will be a virtual social space – possibly we can all bring a craft to work on and share our progress with the group. This virtual connection space will not be a formal counselling group – for counselling referrals please connect with an ISC staff member (or counselling support) directly.
For bookstore sponsorship inquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Students Living in Residence:
Indigenous students who remain living in Residence, please let us know if you are still in Residence and if you have any specific needs we may be able to help support.
- To access SFU Academic Advising: https://www.sfu.ca/students/academicadvising/contact.html
- To access SFU Financial Aid: https://www.sfu.ca/students/financialaid.html
- For writing support book a consultation with the Student Learning Commons or email Julia directly - email@example.com
- Mental Health Support through My SSP (Student Support Program) is available 24/ 7. Students can request to book phone or in-person appointments with an Indigenous identified counsellor. Immediate support is also available 24/7 via chat or phone. No cost for SFU students. Call 1.844.451.9700, or download the free My SSP app from the Apple App store or google Play. More info: bit.ly/mySSPsfu
- SFU COVID-19 FAQs: https://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/alerts/sfu-community-frequently-asked-questions-about-coronavirus.html
- For other SFU supports and resources: https://www.sfu.ca/students/health/support/mental-health/support-options.html
We will reach out to you via email and ISC social media channels and let you know when online ISC group sessions will be brought together. Please take care of yourself and each other during this uncertain time.
We look forward to seeing you back in the ISC as soon as it is possible.