FOSTERING AN INCLUSIVE PLACE TO TEACH, LEARN, RESEARCH AND WORK
The Office of the Vice-President, People, Equity and Inclusion transforms the SFU experience through Inclusive Excellence and people-centred practices to achieve equitable outcomes.
MESSAGE FROM THE VICE-PRESIDENT, PEOPLE, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Welcome! I’m so proud to lead the team that collaborates and partners with our community to shape and transform the people experience at SFU. Each and every day, we elevate and empower our people, the faculty and staff who are our on-the-ground champions of SFU’s vision to be a leading research university that advances an inclusive and sustainable future.
We do this through a comprehensive approach to people and equity, making space to listen so we can develop a healthy space where everyone can do their best work. Our aim is to build capacity and relationships, optimize processes, offer progressive learning opportunities, develop strong leaders and enact proactive human-centred practices.
By helping our people become the best they can be, we make a difference for our students and the communities we serve.
OUR PATH FORWARD
In alignment with What’s Next: The SFU Strategy, our offices have outlined our five-year action plans to transform the SFU experience.
- The People Plan is an integrated blueprint for transforming the faculty and staff experience at SFU, supporting our people to deliver on the academic mission. These people strategies will be supported by the People and Organization Development Office and the Human Resources and Labour Relations Office.
- The Equity Compass is a strategic framework outlining the focus for SFU’s institutional equity, diversity and inclusion work to help build an SFU where all can thrive. The Equity Compass actions will be worked on at the institutional level, led, supported or coordinated by SFU’s inaugural Equity Office.
Our work is just beginning.
- People and Organization Development
The People and Organization Development Office leads the implementation of the People Plan, a holistic long-term plan that engages and supports employees throughout their tenure at SFU. This office encompasses learning and development, wellness and recovery, leadership growth and administrative services such as recruitment and retention.
- Human Resources and Labour Relations
The Human Resources and Labour Relations Office creates and maintains the framework and processes that allow our people to thrive. This office holds strong relationships with our employee groups, and oversees our HR data systems, collective agreements, compensation and immigration services.
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The EDI Office, also known as the Equity Office, leads the implementation of the Equity Compass, a strategic plan that outlines how we will embed EDI principles and values throughout the university to support an inclusive and safe environment for our community. The Equity Office provides toolkits, resources and supports for all levels of the organization and provides the foundation for the People Plan
- Faculty Experience
In collaboration with the Faculty Relations Office, the Office of People, Equity and Inclusion advises on equity programs and initiatives, and operational services such as faculty benefits administration and immigration support for teaching and research faculty, librarian and archivist faculty, and academic administrators. The Faculty Relations Office, with all roles and functions supporting collective agreement administration, faculties and faculty affairs, reports to the Provost’s Office.