Simon Fraser University (SFU) is one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. SFU consistently ranks among Canada's top 15 research universities by major global and national university ranking systems.
Over the last 15 years, SFU has increased its research capacity more than two-fold, having surpassed $100M in 2013 and reached $142.6M in 2018.
At the heart of SFU's research is a strategy for wide-reaching collaborations at the local, national and international levels, to foster a seamless continuum of knowledge generation and knowledge transfer across diverse sectors. SFU has an international footprint of partnerships with over 2800 institutions worldwide, in 117 countries.
Research at SFU spans eight Faculties, covering a broad range of fundamental, interdisciplinary, and applied research topics, as outlined in our Strategic Research Plan. On average, SFU researchers publish 2,500 journal articles per year, over 40% of which appear in the world's top 10% journals (Source: Scopus).
SFU consistently ranks among Canada's top universities in research impact. In the latest QS World University Rankings, SFU is ranked 2nd among Canadian universities for citations per faculty. Elsevier's SciVal, places SFU 5th among Canadian universities by field-weighted citation impact.
SFU is consistently ranked among Canada's top universities in major national and global ranking systems:
- In Maclean's Rankings, SFU has been ranked 1st every year in the Comprehensive University category, with the exception of 2014, when it was ranked 2nd.
- SFU is one of four Canadian universities named by Times Higher Education in their list of the world's top 55 Tech Challenger Universities.
- The 2018 Times Higher Education Best Golden Age Universities ranks SFU 34th in the world and 3rd in Canada.
- SFU ranks 11th in Canada in the latest QS World University Rankings, ranking 2nd in Canada for three years straight in research impact. SFU ranks in the top 100 at the 85th place worldwide for citations per faculty.
- In its 2019 World University Rankings, Times Higher Education ranks SFU 11th in Canada .
- The 2017 CWTS Leiden Ranking ranks SFU 2nd among Canadian universities for percentage of international collaborative publications.
- The 2018 U.S. News Global Rankings places SFU in the 12th spot in Canada, based on its research output, impact, and reputation, supplied by Web of Science data. The rankings also places SFU among the top 10 universities in Canada in 7 subject areas.
Research Centres and Institutes
The research Centres and Institutes are an integral part of Research at SFU. SFU has established:
- 42 Research Centres: non-departmental academic or administrative units established for the purposes of facilitating collaborative resaerch mainly within a Faculty.
- 23 Research Institutes: created to facilitate collaborative multi-disciplinary research between different Faculties or multiuniversity initiatives and to provide research-related services to the community.