- Transfer Students
- Student Union
- What can you do with a sociology or anthropology degree?
- MA Programs
- PhD Programs
Graduate Studies Guide
- General Information
- MA in Sociology or Anthropology
- PhD in Sociology or Anthropology
- Committee Composition, Supervision and Choice of Topic
- Progress Reports
- Course Grade Appeals
- Graduate Student Offices, Computer Lab and Meeting Spaces
- Leaves and Withdrawals
- Applications for Program Extension
- Graduate Student Association
- Current Graduate Students
- News & Events
Cristina Moretti is an urban anthropologist interested in the politics of public space and in the relationship between sensory emplacement, vision, local visual cultures, and city spaces. She is the author of Milanese Encounters: Public Space and Vision in Contemporary Urban Italy (University of Toronto Press, 2015).
Her other research interests include experimental ethnography; the Anthropology of education and schools as institutions; bureaucracy, archives and texts; the Anthropology of time; neoliberalism, precarity, and immigration; and the Anthropology of Italy.
She is a co-founder and co-curator of the Centre for Imaginative Ethnography. She completed her PhD in Anthropology at Simon Fraser University.
PhD (Anthropology), Simon Fraser University
MA (Anthropology), Simon Fraser University
- Moretti, Cristina (2015) Milanese Encounters: Public Space and Vision in Contemporary Urban Italy. University of Toronto Press.
- Moretti, Cristina (2016) “Walking” in A Different Kind of Ethnography: Arts, Public Engagement & the Everyday, edited by Dara Culhane and Denielle Elliott. University of Toronto Press.
- Moretti, Cristina (2011) “The wandering ethnographer: researching and representing the city through everyday encounters”. Anthropologica. Special Theme Issue: New Directions in Experimental and Engaged Ethnography, Vol. 53(2): 245-255.
- Moretti, Cristina (2009). “Places and stages: performing and narrating the city in Milan, Italy” Liminalities. A Journal of Performance Studies. Special Issue on the City (4.1): 1-46.
- Moretti, Cristina (2008). “A walk of two women: vision, gender, and belonging in Milan, Italy.” Pp. 53-75, in Gender in an Urban World, edited by Judith DeSena. Bingley: Emerald.
- Moretti, Cristina (2017). “The Creation of Meaning by Simone Rapisarda – a review”. In CIE Blog. Centre for Imaginative Ethnography http://imaginativeethnography.org/blog/the-creation-of-meaning-by-simone-rapisarda-a-review-by-cristina-moretti/
- Moretti, Cristina (2017). “Creative Urbanity by Emanuela Guano – a review”. In CIE Blog. Centre for Imaginative Ethnography http://imaginativeethnography.org/blog/creative-urbanity-by-emanuela-guano/
- Stacy Leigh Pigg and Cristina Moretti, curators (2015). Imaginings: Comics and the Anthropological Imagination. Centre for Imaginative Ethnography http://imaginativeethnography.org/imaginings/comics/
- Moretti, Cristina (2014). “Textures.” In Imaginings: Affect. Centre for Imaginative Ethnography. http://imaginativeethnography.org/imaginings/affect/textures/
- Moretti, Cristina (2013). “Commentary on If One Night”. In If One Night: An ethnographic soundscape and commentaries. Centre for Imaginative Ethnography. http://imaginativeethnography.org/galleria/if-one-night-an-ethnographic-soundscape-and-%20commentaries/