- Transfer Students
- Student Union
- What can you do with a sociology or anthropology degree?
- MA Programs
- PhD Programs
Graduate Studies Guide
- General Information
- MA in Sociology or Anthropology
- PhD in Sociology or Anthropology
- Committee Composition, Supervision and Choice of Topic
- Progress Reports
- Course Grade Appeals
- Graduate Student Offices, Computer Lab and Meeting Spaces
- Leaves and Withdrawals
- Applications for Program Extension
- Graduate Student Association
- Current Graduate Students
- News & Events
Dr. Travers is a Professor of Sociology at Simon Fraser University. Their recent book, The Trans Generation: How Trans Kids (and Their Parents) Are Creating a Gender Revolution, situates trans kids in Canada and the US, white settler nations characterized by significant social inequality. They are also the Principal Investigator on a SSHRC Insight Grant titled ”Gender Vectors of the GVA: using video game technology to assess social safety nets for transgender and gender nonconforming children and youth in the lower mainland." In addition to a central research focus on transgender children and youth, Dr. Travers has published extensively on the relationship between sport and social justice, with particular emphasis on the inclusion and exclusion of women, queer and trans people of all ages. Such publications include “Women’s Ski Jumping, the 2010 Olympic Games and the Deafening Silences of Sex Segregation, Whiteness and Wealth,” in the Journal of Sport and Social Issues; “Queering Sport: Lesbian Softball Leagues and the Transgender Challenge,” in International Review for the Sociology of Sport,” co-authored with Jillian Deri; and “The Sport Nexus and Gender Injustice,” in Studies in Social Justice Journal. Dr. Travers’ first book, entitled Writing the Public in Cyberspace: Redefining Inclusion On the Net, released in 2000, is an analysis of the ways in which equity of participation is inhibited in public spaces fostered by new information technologies. Dr. Travers has been appointed Deputy Editor of the journal, Gender & Society.
PhD (Sociology), University of Oregon
MA (Sociology), University of British Columbia
BA Hons. (Political Science), Simon Fraser University
Social theory (classical, feminist, queer and trans/gender); sociology of sport; children and gender justice; social issues and movements; gender and technology.
- The Trans Generation: How Trans Kids (and Their Parents) are Creating a Gender Revolution, New York University Press, 2018.
- Transgender Athletes in Competitive Sports, Anderson, E. and A. Travers (editors), London and New York: Routledge, 2017
- Writing the Public in Cyberspace: Redefining Inclusion on the Net, Garland Publishing, Inc. New York, 2000. ISBN:0815332653
- 2016 Travers, A. and M. Shearman, “The Sochi Olympics, celebration capitalism and homonationalist pride,” Journal of Sport & Social Issues, online Dec 31, pp. 42-69.
- 2015 Manning, Kimberley Ens; Cindy Holmes, Annie Pullen Sansfaçon, Julia Temple Newhook, Ann Travers. “Fighting for Trans* Kids: Academic Parent Activism in the 21st Century,” Studies in Social Justice Journal, Vol. 1(9), 118-135.
- 2013 Travers, A. “Thinking the unthinkable: Imagining an ‘un-American,’ Girl-friendly, Women- and Trans-Inclusive Alternative for Baseball,” Journal of Sport & Social Issue, Vol 37(1), pp. 78-96.
- 2013 Travers, A. “Transformative Sporting Visions,” Journal of Sport & Social Issue, Vol 37(1), pp. 3-7.
- 2011 Travers, A. “Women’s Ski Jumping, the 2010 Olympic Games and the Deafening Silences of Sex Segregation, Whiteness and Wealth,” in the Journal of Sport and Social Issues,Vol. 35, No. 2, May, pp. 126-145.
- 2010 Travers, A. and J. Deri. “Transgender Inclusion and the Changing Face of Lesbian Softball Leagues,” International Review for the Sociology of Sport. Volume 46, No. 4, December, pp. 488-507.
- 2009 Travers, A. “Jackie Robinson’s Legacy and Women “Cross-over Athletes”: A Comparison of New York Times’ Coverage,” Open Sociology Journal, Volume 2, pp.30-41 (12). http://www.bentham.org/open/tosocij/openaccess2.htm
- 2008 Travers, A. “The Sport Nexus and Gender Injustice,” in Studies in Social Justice Journal. Volume 2, Issue 1, pp. 79-101.
- 2006 Travers, A. “Queering Sport: Lesbian Softball Leagues and the Transgender Challenge” in International Review for the Sociology of Sport. Volume 41, Number 3-4, September/December, pp. 431-446.
- 2016 Travers, A. “Transgender and Gender nonconforming kids and the binary requirements of sport participation in North America,” Child’s play: sport in kids’ worlds. Messner, M. and M. Musto, eds. New Brunswick, New Jersey and London: Rutgers University Press.
- 2014 Travers, A. “Transformative Gender Justice as a framework for normalizing gender variance among children and youth,” In Meyer, E. & Pullen-Sansfaçon, A. (eds.) Supporting transgender and gender creative youth: Schools, families, and communities in action. Peter Lang: New York, 54-68.
- 2013 Guest Editor, Special Issue on Transformative Visions of Sport, Journal of Sport and Social Issues, November.
- Travers wins 2021 competition for a two-year Seed Grant research proposal entitled"Gender+ Equity in Youth Baseball," from the Canadian Gender+ Equity in Sport Research Hub (E-Alliance).
- 2019 Winner in the category of Social Sciences Anthropology, Criminology, and Sociology in The Association of American Publishers PROSE for their book The Trans Generation: How Trans Kids (and Their Parents) are Creating a Gender Revolution.
- 2018 One of the recipients of the 2018 Excellence in Teaching Awards at Simon Fraser University.
- CityNews, Interview by CityNews 1130 on the #LetHerRun campaign calls to end discrimination against female athletes. Oct 15, 2020
- The Star Vancouver, Trio of recent wins making transphobia less acceptable, say experts, by Tessa Vikander, Fri., March 29, 2019
- The Georgia Straight, SFU professor and author presents talk about how to support trans children, by Craig Takeuchi on March 14, 2019
- SFU President's Faculty Lecture Series, Trangender Kids at the Crossroads: Impacts of Colonialism, Racism, and Poverty, Thursday, March 14, 2019
- Ann Travers participated in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies traveling scholars program in February 2019 and went to Terrace to do a public lecture and two community meetings about their research with trans kids. Here's a link to a video interview/news item http://www.cftktv.com/VideoVault and to a print story https://www.terracestandard.com/home/professor-advocates-for-change-in-conversation-for-transgender-youth/
- The Tyee, Documenting the Trans Generation: Kids, Families and the Fight for Rights. A Q&A with transgender professor and author Ann Travers on their new book about growing up trans. By Katie Hyslop, July 23, 2018.
- The Globe and Mail, For trans people of all ages, sex segregation of sport and physical recreation is a key obstacle to participation, Opinion piece by Ann Travers, July 20, 2018.
- The Early Edition, a radio interview with author Ann Travers' on their book The Trans Generation, about the lives of trans kids, how societal perceptions are changing and what challenges remain, with Stephen Quinn, June 12, 2018.