Once you pay the Admission Deposit, or 10 weeks before your first term, you will receive an email informing that your SFU Computing account is available. http://my.sfu.ca/AccountActivation. This account is your login to SFU IT services, including goSFU, email, the library, etc.

Please send your SFU email address to your Program Assistant. This address will be used for all future communication from SFU, and will give you access to all personal academic program information, course enrollment and grades, financial account information, tax receipts and other student services.


Simon Fraser University is on a trimester system and students will enroll three times per year. Graduate students must enroll every term, from admission until all requirements for the degree have been fulfilled. This includes students who enroll On Leave. A student who does not enroll is considered to have withdrawn from the University (Graduate General Regulation (GGR) 1.4.1). More information about options and deadlines is available from GPS.

Enrollment information is sent out approximately 2 months before the term begins by your Program Assistant.

Note: Your student financial account MUST be in GOOD standing ($0 balance). All prior tuition and fee assessments must be paid prior to enrolling.


Tuition payments are due on the second Friday of the term. After this date, students are assessed monthly late fees. Find information on how to pay here.

The traditional MA and PhD programs are both "per term fee", and you are charged a standard fee for each term of enrollment.


Funding may be available in the form of teaching assistantships, scholarships, fellowships, or research assistantships. MA funding page, PhD funding page, HRM funding page.

New Archaeology students may login at gradawards.sfu.ca and apply for Archaeology private awards, or Graduate Studies (DGS or GPS) awards that are open.

Please note that Archaeology posts their teaching opportunities 10 weeks in advance of the next semester. We recommend that Graduate Students apply for TAships in any field in which they have experience.

You must have a Canadian SIN and bank account to apply for a TAship, and for most employment opportunities on campus.

UPASS - Transit


Please see the UPass website for full details and contact their office directly if you have questions or need further assistance regarding eligibilty or exemptions.


www.studentcare.ca or 1-866-369-8795

As a graduate student at SFU, you are a member of the Graduate Student Society (GSS), which provides eligible students with Health and Dental insurance coverage. The total cost for one year of both Dental and Medical will automatically be added to your student fee assessment and must be paid at the same time as your tuition. If you opt out, the charge will be reversed.

If you start school in September, the Fall Change-of-Coverage Period is during the first two weeks of September. You must apply for the exemption every September.