Every term (Fall, Spring, Summer) you must be enrolled or on an approved leave of absence, otherwise you will be discontinued. There are many different options and if you are unsure of what is appropriate, speak to your supervisor or graduate program director. If you have finished your program’s coursework, you will enroll in your thesis, project, or final completion course every term until you have completed your program.

Need a form?

Go to Forms

Enrollment in a graduate course within your academic unit

You may enroll yourself through go.sfu.ca if:

  • you have met the pre-requisites (if there any)
  • you have paid your fees
  • and it is before the end of the second week of the term

It is recommended to enroll prior to the start of the term to enable you to receive your U-Pass, access services and receive any award disbursements on time.

Enrollment in a Course as an Audit

You may enroll in a course on an audit basis. Audit courses do not count towards your degree requirements, and you must be enrolled in at least 1 other course in the same term. A request must be made prior to the end of the 2nd week of class. Graduate students are required to have a formal agreement with the instructor on what the requirements are including, but not limited to, attendance and participation in class. Audit requests must be done on the Registration/Change of Registration form and must include the instructor's signature.

Enrollment After 2nd Week (Late)

If you are taking a course towards your program requirements but it is outside your academic unit, fill out a Registration/Change of Registration form and submit it to you supervisor/director for approval prior to the start of the term. If approved, staff will enroll you. Tuition is due immediately with a late enrollment. It's your responsibility to pay any late fees.

If you are having problems enrolling or unsure what course to enroll in, please contact your graduate program assistant.

Enrollment in Courses Outside your academic unit

If you are taking a course towards your program requirements but it is outside your academic unit, fill out a Registration/Change of Registration form and submit it to you supervisor/director for approval prior to the start of the term. If approved, staff will enroll you.

If the course is for general interest and not towards your program requirements, you may request to take the course, however, you will be charged additional tuition for the course.

Enrollment in a Graduate Course Outside of SFU

You may apply to take a course at another institution within Canada. If you have achieved a B or higher in that course, you will receive credit for completing that course, however, the grade is not included in your SFU CGPA.

A Request for WDA Course Registration form must be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the term (please refer to the dates & deadlines page). Requests received after the deadline will be denied. At the end of the course you must order an official transcript from that institution and have it sent to the Graduate Studies.

If the course you wish to take is from one of the following universities:

  • University of Alberta
  • Athabasca University
  • Brandon University
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Calgary
  • Concordia University of Edmonton
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • University of Regina
  • Royal Roads University
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • Trinity Western University
  • University of Victoria
  • University of Winnipeg

You would submit the Request for WDA Course Registration form and if you are approved to take the course, the tuition would be paid at SFU.

Important information for WDA deadlines

The WDA agreement specifies that completed typed form must be submitted by the deadline. Check the Dates + Deadlines page for deadline information. Any incomplete, handwritten or late applications will be denied. 

CAGS (Canadian Association for Graduate Students) Enrollment Requests

If the course is not from one of the above institutions, you would submit a Request for CAGS Course Registration form, however, an agreement has to be made on where your tuition would be paid (at SFU or the host institution). Please allow additional time to arrange this.

Enrollment in a Course you already Completed

If a student wishes to increase a grade in a course they have already taken, they must seek permission form the graduate program. Only the higher grade will count towards the student's CGPA, however, the lower grade will always remain on the transcript. At most two courses may be repeated with no course being repeated more than once.

If a course is a special topics speak to your program to see if that course may be repeated for credit again if the course content is different.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

Graduate students are required to maintain continuous enrollment. If you find it necessary to interrupt your studies, you must apply for a leave of absence. During a leave of absence you are not enrolled and should not use any of the University’s facilities or resources, or undertake academic or research work related to your program. International graduate students who are on a study permit should consult with SFU International Services for Students prior to applying for the leave.

Personal Leave

You are eligible to take three personal leaves for any reason through the duration of your program. Typical examples include extended holidays, work opportunity, or due to financial reasons.

Parental Leave

You are eligible for up to three terms in a row of parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child. Documentation is required such as a doctor's note or birth certificate.

Medical Leave

You are eligible for up to three terms in a row for a single medical condition that impacts you. Documentation is required. If you require more than three terms, it is recommended that you withdraw from your program and re-apply when you are able.

Compassionate Leave

Up to three terms may be taken for bereavement, a medical condition impacting a family member, or other extenuating circumstances. Supporting documentation is required.

Academic Break

Students in non-thesis programs are eligible to take an academic break if no courses are being offered in their program that term (typically in the summer). Only one academic break can be taken per calendar year and a student must have been enrolled in the term prior to the academic break and must enroll in the term after the academic break.