This course provides insight into the industry for people who deal with real estate developers or want to learn how the development industry is structured, how it functions, who the players are, what motivates them, and how they interact. You’ll benefit from a variety of personal stories from developers with a wealth of experience.
Real Estate Development from the Inside Out
Fall 2019 lineup to be announced in June
What will you learn?
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe the history of real estate development and key factors affecting the industry
- Demonstrate your understanding of “the developer,” forms of development ownership, potential partners and the development process
- Explain how value is added to land, residual land calculations, development requirements and forms of control
- Describe sources of funding and financial terminology
- Demonstrate your understanding of the market and types of projects
- Apply what you’ve learned through case-study analysis
How will you learn?
- Case studies
- Small group discussions
Who should take this course?
- Planners, architects and landscape architects
- Engineers, developers, builders and real-estate professionals
- Elected officials
- Transportation professionals
- Staff of non-profit organizations
- Environmental professionals
- Local, provincial and federal government administrators and project managers
- Lawyers, financiers and community advocates
Textbooks and learning materials
We will provide custom course materials.
Professional development credits
AIBC CES participants, PIBC members and BCSLA members may self-report for continuing education learning unit consideration.