This introductory course is designed to provide an overview and understanding of the important role of marketing in organizational success in the world of business today. You will be introduced to the major principles, concepts and functions of marketing in both profit and non-profit settings.
In addition to learning basic marketing techniques, you will learn to appreciate the importance of strategic market- and customer-focused approaches for organizational success in an ever-competitive and dynamic global environment.
Register for a course at any time, with the option to apply to a program later.
Currently not available for registration.
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Assess the role of marketing within an organizational framework
- Apply effective tools and processes to identify a target market that will drive organizational marketing efforts
- Interpret internal and external environmental factors and how they affect marketing objectives and strategies
- Evaluate the components of a strategic marketing plan
- Create a strategic marketing plan in order to drive organizational growth
- Develop product positioning strategies and tactics within a competitive context
- Evaluate appropriate channels of distribution to effectively reach your target market
- Develop effective promotional strategies and tactics to grow market share
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 6–10 hours per week on coursework
- Expect readings and other assignments on a weekly basis
- Plan to access the course at least once every few days to keep up with your work and class discussions
You will be evaluated on:
- Assignments (individual and group)
- Participation in online discussions
- Weekly quizzes and exercises
Course fees do not include textbooks. We recommend you purchase your textbook as soon as you’ve registered. We will provide additional course materials online.
Grewal, D., Levy, M., Lichti, S. Marketing, 5th Edition. McGraw-Hill, 2021.
Connect: ISBN 9781264160044
Connect & Print: ISBN 9781264160105
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.
Professional development credits
This course may meet the requirements for the following designation(s):