Field Training for Medical Translators and Interpreters
This course is conducted remotely and focuses on various foundational skills required for successful interpreting –including listening comprehension, memory retention, note taking, mental transposition and verbalization in the target language. You will also acquire general knowledge, ethics, and soft and hard skill sets that for becoming a professional medical interpreter.
Instructor: Rose Wan Jen
Duration: 3 months
Available only to students enrolled in:
Medical Translation and Interpretation Certificate
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Provide consecutive interpreting and know the pitfalls in settings that require consecutive interpreting
- Know how to utilize note-taking skills while providing consecutive interpreting services
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 2–3 hours per week on coursework in addition to attending classes
- Expect lectures, presentations, case studies and discussions
- Participate in supervised practice sessions
- Attend remote field training in health care settings
You’ll be evaluated on:
To graduate with the Legal and Interpretation and Translation Certificate, complete all courses with an overall grade of B– (70%).
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.