Friends and family of graduands
Convocation is an exciting and proud moment to mark the achievements of our graduates. To make your attendance go smoothly, please read the details below.
You should note the schedule of dates and times and plan to arrive early on the campus to ensure parking and seating.
Guests from outside of Canada
Because we have limited seating, you may bring a maximum of four people.
You will find guest seating on the covered Convocation Mall, right behind the graduating students' seats. No reservations or tickets are necessary; however, family and friends should find their seats well before the procession begins.
Things to know
- Only certified guide/service animals are allowed to cross the stage with graduands.
- You should make arrangements with family or friends for child-minding while you are convocating.
- Note that the Mall is under cover but open on both ends and can be quite cold, so audience members should dress warmly.
- Elderly guests and anyone with special needs regarding seating should identify themselves to any of our ushers on the Mall.
- Each convocation ceremony lasts approximately two hours.
A reception for graduands and their guests is held in the James Douglas Study Area, east of Freedom Square, following each ceremony.
You may reserve a room on the SFU campus.