- Latin American Nikkei Japanese in Japanese Society: languages, migration, otherness, and plurilingual pedagogy. Principal Investigator, Steve Marshall; Co-Investigators, Mariko Himeta (Daito Bunka University), Satoko Shao-Kobayashi (Chiba University). SFU Faculty of Education FIRE (Funds for Research in International Education) Award, $7,000
- Integrating Critical Media Literacies in Plurilingual & Pluricultural Teacher Education. Principal Investigator, Angel Lin; 8 Co-Investigators at institutions in Canada and New Zealand. SSHRC Partnership Development Grant, $200,000
- Impact Assessment: Academic performance of FAL-Required students. Carried out in collaboration with SFU’s Institutional Research and Planning Group to compare students required to take Foundations of Academic Literacy (FAL X99) and those exempt (2007-2018). We compared 6-year retention rates (16,241 students), 2-year retention rates (28,599 students), GPA performance on lower division writing-intensive courses (84,847 students), and upper division writing intensive courses (50,189 students).
- Plurilingualism as an asset for learning across the disciplines in Canadian higher education. Principal Investigator, Steve Marshall; Co-Investigator, Danièle Moore
SFU VPR Bridging Grant, $10,000
- A qualitative study of academic literacies and multilingual first year students in an English-medium university: Social and demographic change, multiliteracies, and institutional response
Principal Investigator, Steve Marshall; Co-Investigator, Danièle Moore
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, $57,525
- A qualitative study of the multiple literacies of multilingual undergraduate students in higher education: From the social to the academic.
SSHRC 4a Simon Fraser University Vice President Research Grant, $9,719.98
Foundational academic literacy development: A pilot study of learner contexts and perceptions of progress
President’s Research Grant, Simon Fraser University, $10,000
- Writing through transitions: Understanding the needs of learners writing in English as an additional language at SFU
Learning and Instructional Development Centre, Simon Fraser University, $6,000