"More than 80% of our science and engineering PhD graduates continue their careers outside of the academic sector"
- Elicia Maine, W.J. VanDusen Professor of Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Special Advisor on Innovation to the VP Research and International, Academic Director, Invention to Innovation (i2I)
SFU is currently ranked #1 in Canada, #7 globally for entrepreneurial spirit among universities with real impact by United Nations Institute for Training and Research World’s Universities with Real Impact! Take advantage of the abundance of resources and mentorship in entrepreneurship during your time at SFU!
Incubators, Certificates, and More at SFU
- Chang Institute:
- SFU VentureLabs:
- Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection:
- i2I (Invention to Innovation Certificate):
Lacking inspiration for real world problems? Check out websites such as InnoCentive, challenges for Innovative Solutions or other granting agencies such as SBIR. Other specific maker events can spur on innovative ideas such as the COVID-19 Maker Challenge. By going to theses sites, you can contextualize what are real world problems that different agencies are seeking solutions for.
When designing for commercialization, keep in mind relevant standards that will apply to the device. SFU has a collection of standards that can be referenced along with links to other instituitions.
SFU has subscribed to a number of databases for market research. Full reports are available from the library from Frost&Sullivan. If you need fast statistics, Statista is a great place to start. Check out the market research resources page, BUEC Buzz Blog, or the links under BUS 791 for other useful resources.
If there is collective interest in learning more, the EGSA can reach out to the Industry Liason Office to organize an information session about the opportunities available to graduate students. You can also check out Beedie's page for entrepreneurial related events that are already available.
SFU is currently ranked #1 in Canada, #7 globally for entrepreneurial spirit among universities with real impact by United Nations Institute for Training and Research World’s Universities with Real Impact! It’s time to check out one of the programs that got us there!
SFU is recognized as 7th in the world for entrepreneurial inclinations with an extensive ecosystem of mentors, incubators, and resources . [blurb on translating the technologies in the lab to be able to benefit the public]. Explore and take advantage of the opportunities availabe to you during your time as a graduate student at SFU to equip you well whether ___, __, ___.
[Quick notes (Under construction)
- blurb about SFU's innovation philosophy -
- Resources such as incubators, industrial liason office, and facilities - a lot of the information has been covered on their site so quick highlight of facilities might help students be able to point students towards a better success rate for bringing their research to market
- Intellectual Property - https://www.sfu.ca/research/resources/intellectual-property-protection-and-technology-licensing
- Entrepreneurship events at SFU hosted by Beedie sometimes found at - https://beedie.sfu.ca/events/]
Prior event for Entrepreneurship@SFU - https://sfubeedie.wistia.com/medias/42tf7tbtwj