- About Us
- Current Students
- News & Events
Please note: The application process cannot be completed on the day of the deadline. You will first need to pay the application fee and allow 1-2 business days for it to be processed. Only after that has happened will you be able to upload your supporting documents.
We therefore strongly encourage you to submit your application a minimum of 1-2 weeks ahead of the deadline.
Applying to the Graduate Diploma in Urban Studies (GDUS)
The GDUS program is ideal for learners whose professional and life experience has motivated them to engage in a seminar-based, rigorous program of study of cities and urbanism within a community of critical thinking peers.
To apply, you must use SFU's online application system.
If you want to apply for both MURB and GDUS programs in the same application cycle, you need to submit separate applications, fees and supporting materials for each.
Documents needed to complete your application to the Urban Studies Program
Statement of interest: A one-page document that explains your learning objectives and your personal, academic and professional motivations for acquiring an advanced urban studies credential.
Resume /curriculum vitae that highlights your urban-related work and volunteer experience.
- Transcripts from all universities and/or colleges you've attended, including institutions attended on transfer or exchange.
- Unofficial transcripts: These must be uploaded to your online application. Ensure that they are clear and legible, and include information about the grading scale used. This information is often found on the back of your unofficial transcripts, and if so, you need to ensure that both sides are uploaded.
- Official, sealed transcripts: These are only needed if you receive an offer of admission so please don't send these unless you do receive an admissions offer. At that point, you will need to immediately arrange to have an official transcript (or transcripts) sent to SFU directly from your granting institution/s.
- Please note that SFU will need to receive all your official transcripts before we can allow you to enrol in courses for your term of admission.
- For further information about transcripts and the addresses to send your hard copy or digital transcripts, please see the Grad Studies transcript page.
- Letters of reference: Provide the name, position and contact information for three referees. The referees will then receive a link and instructions for uploading their letters. Reference letters must be provided through the link sent to referees from the online application system. Please do not ask your referees to email their reference letters directly to us.
When thinking about who to approach for your letters of reference, note that we normally expect at least two academic references. Professional references are also acceptable. Personal references are not.
- Proof of English proficiency: If your undergraduate degree comes from an institution in a country where English is not an official language, you must also supply proof of English proficiency based on your score on one of the tests that are accepted by SFU. If this applies to you, you must meet (and preferably exceed) the minimum requirements set by SFU. We do not allow exceptions to these English requirements because we want students to succeed in their studies with us.
Note: You do not need to arrange for a faculty member to supervise you before applying to the GDUS program. Diploma students are not assigned individual graduate supervisors.
Applications for the Fall 2024 term are now closed.
We will notify all applicants about the outcome of their application 6-8 weeks after the application deadline (January 15th, 2024). We are not able to respond to individual requests for updates on the status of your application before then.