- Startup Services
- Contact Us
Rules & Eligibility
These competition rules (the “Competition Rules”) have been established for the Coast Capital Venture Prize Competition 2022 (“Competition”) organized by the Coast Capital Venture Connection program at Simon Fraser University (“CC-VC”).
Participant Eligibility Requirements:
- The Participant must have at least one Founder who is a current SFU student, staff, faculty member or alumni within 2 years of graduation AND who represents 25% or more ownership/management control, AND/OR has been a participant of the SFU Coast Capital Venture Connection Incubator program during 2021.
- If the Participant is a business, it must also be:
- Privately held and not incorporated/registered for more than five years
- All business structures are encouraged in this Competition, and Participants can be a proprietorship, partnership, corporation (for profit or not-for-profit), co-operative or society
For clarity, Participants are not required to be incorporated to enter the Competition.
- While a Team member can participate on one or more Teams or entries, such person may not be the lead for more than one Team or entry in the same stream.
- The Participant must have received less than $1,000,000 in total investment and grants to date (excluding research funds received before company formation), and have less than $500,000 annual revenue as of February 22, 2022, unless otherwise approved by CC-VC.
- At least one team member must be available to pitch at a preliminary pitch-off event (date tentative). Participants will be assigned to one of these two pitch-offs, by (date tentative).
- The Participant must be available to compete in the Final competition, AND attend the awards ceremony on April 12th. Idea Prize competitors must attend the Idea Prize Finals and the awards ceremony in April.
- Previous Idea Prize winners are ONLY eligible to compete in the Venture stream and its category prizes, including the Top Venture Prize.
- Previous Coast Capital Venture Prize first-place winners are NOT eligible to apply, but previous Attribute Award winners are still eligible to compete.
Note: The Director of Coast Capital Venture Connection reserves the right to make the final determination of the eligibility of submitted business ventures.
The Participant agrees to:
- Co-operate in the promotion of the Competition and future competitions organized by Coast Capital Venture Connection, by allowing CC-VC to use the Participant’s business and personal names, and submitted images;
- Provide, upon request by CC-VC, a brief (250-word) overview of their venture for CC-VC’s promotional and publicity use; and
- Make itself reasonably available to CC-VC and the media for promotional and publicity purposes.
- Participants cannot be directly involved in the judging process for the Competition.
- Participants must be available to compete in their designated pitch off and finals as well as the virtual reception and awards ceremony.
- The Participant bears solely the responsibility for the preparation of its entry.
- The entry meets all of the entry requirements.
- All entries are made by stated deadlines.
- The Participant has registered for the Competition via the webform, by the stated entry deadline.
Founder: An individual who does or will own 25% or more of the Venture.
Participant: The Participant may be either one or more persons, or a business. Eligibility requirements must be met.
Team: A Team is a group of persons, who together are a “Participant” in the Competition.
Venture: An individual or group with an idea, concept, prototype or a registered business (either proprietorship, partnership, corporation, co-operative or society).