- Startup Services
- Contact Us
Rules and Eligibility
APPLY TO #MADEBYSFU
- You are or a team-member is a current SFU student, staff, faculty member, or alumni (graduated between 2011-2021) with at least 20% ownership of the business.
- The business must have annual revenues below $50,000.
- The applicant must ensure at least one team member is available to showcase their product at the virtual marketplace (via Zoom) on October 28, 2021.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring their product abides by any and all applicable regulatory or certification requirements and suitable to be sold in British Columbia.
- The applicant must guarantee the originality of their submissions and are responsible for ensuring their product does not infringe any existing copyrights or patents.
- It must be a tangible product (service-based applications will not be accepted)
- Food products will not be accepted
- The product must not already be sold in the SFU Spirit Shop
- Must be original or adapted products*; resellers not accepted (*not just adding a brand or sticker)
- Prototypes are accepted, but the applicant must guarantee the ability to deliver min. $350 (wholesale cost) of the final product to the Spirit Shop around six weeks after the marketplace competition date.
- Retail Price: $3-$100 (refer to our pricing blog post for more information on how to appropriately price your product, e.g. wholesale price vs. retail price)
Product ideas include (but are not limited to):
Innovative designs for traditional items (e.g. reversible umbrella)
Clothing and gifts made from sustainable materials
By participating in this year’s #MadeBySFU competition and virtual marketplace, you also agree to abide by the following:
- Required to have an online e-commerce platform to sell your products & process payments (e.g. Shopify, Etsy, Instagram Shop, etc) by Oct 4, 2021.