- Startup Services
- Contact Us
Rules and Eligibility
APPLY TO #MADEBYSFU
Interested individuals/teams should read through the rules and eligibility requirements in detail before applying to #MadeBySFU.
You must complete the #MadeBySFU application by Monday, October 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM. Late entries will not be considered for the competition.
For any questions or concerns, please email Maycko Macapugas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals and teams applying to the #MadeBySFU competition must meet all of the following criteria including both eligibility and product criteria in order to compete. You may still be eligible to participate in the marketplace as a vendor if you do not meet the following criteria. Vendors are welcome to sell their product in the marketplace, however they cannot compete for any prizes.
- You are or a team-member is a current SFU student, staff, faculty member, or alumni (graduated between 2010-2020) with at least 20% ownership of the business.
- The business must have annual revenues below $50,000. The applicant must ensure at least one team member is available to showcase their product at the virtual marketplace (via Zoom) on November 18, 2020.
- The applicant must guarantee the originality of their submissions and are responsible for ensuring their product does not infringe any existing copyrights or patents.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring their product abides by any and all applicable regulatory or certification requirements and suitable to be sold in British Columbia.
- It must be a tangible product (service-based applications will not be accepted)
- Food products will not be accepted
- The product must not already be sold in the SFU Spirit Shop
- Must be original or adapted products*; resellers not accepted (*not just adding a brand or sticker)
- Prototypes are accepted, but the applicant must guarantee the ability to deliver min. $350 (wholesale cost) of the final product to the Spirit Shop by early 2021
- Orders can be prepaid in the new year to help with manufacturing costs
- Retail Price: $3-$100 (refer to our pricing blog post for more information on how to appropriately price your product, e.g. wholesale price vs. retail price)
Product ideas include (but are not limited to):
Innovative designs for traditional items (e.g. reversible umbrella)
Clothing and gifts made from sustainable materials
By participating in this year’s #MadeBySFU competition and virtual marketplace, you also agree to abide by the following:
- Create and maintain an Etsy store for the duration of the competition
- Launch your Etsy store by Monday, November 9, 2020
- Understand and agree to the Terms & Conditions set out by Etsy
- Understand that the competition has no affiliation with Etsy (any issues with the Etsy platform must be dealt directly with Etsy vendor support)