- Startup Services
- Contact Us
Rules and Eligibility
APPLY TO #MADEBYSFU
Join us at the Virtual Marketplace on Oct 28, 2021 - 11:00am - 2:00pm
#MadeBySFU 2021 - Virtual - Applications are now closed!
Interested individuals/teams should read through the rules and eligibility requirements in detail before applying to #MadeBySFU.
You must complete the #MadeBySFU application by Sep 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM. Late entries will not be considered for the competition.
Want to participate in the competition as a Vendor or have other inquiries about the #MadeBySFU competition? Contact Maycko Macapugas at email@example.com
Individuals and teams applying to the #MadeBySFU competition must meet all of the following criteria including both eligibility and product criteria in order to compete. You may still be eligible to participate in the marketplace as a vendor if you do not meet the following criteria. Vendors are welcome to sell their product in the marketplace, however they cannot compete for any prizes.
- You are or a team-member is a current SFU student, staff, faculty member, or alumni (graduated between 2011-2021) with at least 20% ownership of the business.
- The business must have annual revenues below $50,000.
- The applicant must ensure at least one team member is available to showcase their product at the virtual marketplace (via Zoom) on October 28, 2021.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring their product abides by any and all applicable regulatory or certification requirements and suitable to be sold in British Columbia.
- The applicant must guarantee the originality of their submissions and are responsible for ensuring their product does not infringe any existing copyrights or patents.
- It must be a tangible product (service-based applications will not be accepted)
- Food products will not be accepted
- The product must not already be sold in the SFU Spirit Shop
- Must be original or adapted products*; resellers not accepted (*not just adding a brand or sticker)
- Prototypes are accepted, but the applicant must guarantee the ability to deliver min. $350 (wholesale cost) of the final product to the Spirit Shop around six weeks after the marketplace competition date.
- Retail Price: $3-$100 (refer to our pricing blog post for more information on how to appropriately price your product, e.g. wholesale price vs. retail price)
Product ideas include (but are not limited to):
Innovative designs for traditional items (e.g. reversible umbrella)
Clothing and gifts made from sustainable materials
By participating in this year’s #MadeBySFU competition and virtual marketplace, you also agree to abide by the following:
- Required to have an online e-commerce platform to sell your products & process payments (e.g. Shopify, Etsy, Instagram Shop, etc) by Oct 4, 2021.