Academic Advising Options
- Email can be used for quick questions. If you are outside the country (or otherwise unable to talk in person or over the phone) then you may email more detailed questions. Please make sure you send emails from your SFU account and include your SFU student number. If possible, attach your SFU advising transcript. Email: email@example.com.
- Feel free to drop by AQ 4147 for a brief meeting (maximum 10 minutes) during drop-in advising hours. Please bring an advising transcript to drop-in hours, if possible. Dropin hours are subject to change without notice. For dropin schedule click here.
- If you are unavailable during dropins or require a longer meeting time (maximum 30 minutes), please call to book an appointment. Graduation checks and program planning usually require booked appointments. Phone: 778-782-4980.
- LiveHelp advising is sometimes offered, as indicated on the advising schedule. LiveHelp is a secure online instant messaging system where you can ask quick questions.
What can the advisor assist me with?
Assessment & Registration – Where do I start?
- The advisor is available to assess your previous coursework for prerequisite completion and to assist you with enrollment difficulties in MATH, MACM and FAN X99 courses (excluding MACM 101). The advisor also administers the Calculus Readiness Test and Q Placement Test, available for students who require further assessment for entry into quantitative courses and 100 level MATH courses.
Degree Progress & Graduation – How do I know if I am on track?
- The advisor is available to review degree progress and graduation requirements for students enrolled in all programs offered by the Department of Mathematics. It is important to come in for course/program planning early on in your degree and to check your progress once you have completed about 60 units. It is also good practice to come in for advising at least two terms before the term in which you intend on completing your degree.
Programs & Declaring Your Major – What mathematics programs does SFU offer?
- The advisor is available to provide you with general information about the major/honours/minor programs in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, and Mathematics and Computing Science (MACM). Approval from the advisor is required for entry into these programs.