WWEST Associate Chairs Program
Call for Applications
WWEST is proud to announce the next call for applications to the WWEST Associate Chairs Program. This will establish up to three satellite WWEST programs across the BC/Yukon region at NSERC-eligible institutions to increase impact in communities outside the lower mainland of BC. The WWEST Associate Chairs will act as role-models and will deliver programs in their region based on existing WWEST programs as well as their own proposed activities. WWEST Associate Chair activities will align with WWEST’s mission to engage industry, the community and students to increase the awareness and participation of women and other under-represented groups in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields of study and careers.
(See the WWEST 36 Month Report to find out more about WWEST's programs.)
WWEST Associate Chairs will be awarded for one year terms based on an annual application process. Renewals will be considered. WWEST will invest $10,000 annually into each of the programs and the WWEST Associate Chairs will be required to obtain matching funds from a non-federal source. All of the funding in this program (both from WWEST and matching funds) must be invested into programming that aligns with WWEST's mission. Funds cannot be used toward Associate Chair Research, Salary, or Teaching Buyout. The WWEST Associate Chairs are expected to devote 20% of their time on this program, which should translate into a reduction in teaching load.
Applicants wishing to become a WWEST Associate Chair must…
- Be full-time faculty at an NSERC-eligible institution in the BC/Yukon Region
- Have a commitment from their institution that they will receive teaching relief for one year starting in September of the year the WWEST Junior Chair is awarded
- Be prepared to find matching funds ($10,000 minimum, $15,000 preferred) from a non-federal source by August 31, 2018 should you be chosen
Criteria for Selection
- Teaching and research achievements and stature of the candidate;
- Experience and/or the potential of the candidate to contribute to Chair-related issues;
- Merit and projected impact of the proposed strategies;
- The communication and networking plan to ensure maximum impact at the local level;
- The support of the host institution;
- Cash contributions secured from the supporting organization(s).
The Selection Committee will be comprised of WWEST Stakeholders and will give equal importance to each element when evaluating proposals.
Applications for 2018-2019:
The application for the WWEST Associate Chairs Program includes:
- Application Form (.docx or .pdf)
- Program Proposal (7 pages max.): This proposal should cover background information about the applicant (~2 pages), information about institutional readiness and support (~1 page), a proposed plan for activities including applicable deliverables and metrics (~3 pages), and a budget justification (~1 page).
- A maximum of 3 references that can comment on the program proposal and/or the applicant’s fit with the selection criteria.
- Budget Proposal Form (Here)
- Letter from your institution committing to providing teaching relief from September 2018 to August 2019
- Optional: Letter of commitment for matching funds ($10,000 minimum, $15,000 preferred) from a non-federal source, if already secured. (If your institution is providing these funds, then you can provide one letter for funding and teaching relief.)
June 20, 2018 – Call for applications for 2018-19 Associate Chairs opens
July 27, 2018 – Call for applications for 2018-19 Associate Chairs closes
August 10, 2018 – Applicants notified if they have been chosen as Finalists
September 1, 2018 - Term begins for 2018-19 Associate Chairs
August 31, 2019 – Term ends for 2018-19 Associate Chairs