First Peoples' Gathering House Timeline
First Peoples' Gathering House Building Committee
The purpose of the Building Committee is to provide executive direction and general oversight to ensure the project fulfills the Project Charter mandate, commitments to all funding partners and is completed within the approved budget and schedule.
First Peoples' Gathering House Objectives
- Create a shared gathering/social space for Indigenous students, staff and community
- Welcome Indigenous peoples from around the world
- Promote greater understanding of Indigenous peoples and culture among the SFU community
- Provide an additional space for Indigenous Elders not housed in the Indigenous Student Centre
- Provide a place for Indigenous and campus-wide cultural events, workshops and celebrations
- Encourage more Indigenous students to pursue post-secondary education, and
- Demonstrate recognition and respect for Indigenous peoples’ contribution, culture, history and knowledge.
Membership and Operations
The Committee will be composed of the following:
- Vice President, External – Committee Co-Chair, Project Sponsor Joanne Curry
- Associate Vice President, External – Committee Co-Chair, Sobhana Jaya-Madhavan
- Pro-tem Director of the Office of Aboriginal People – Committee Co-Chair Ron Johnston
- Representative, Indigenous Studies Eldon Yellowhorn
- Chief Facilities Officer - Project Sponsor Larry Waddell
Resource Persons to the Committee will consist of:
- Director, Campus Planning & Development – Wendy Lee
- Project Managers Gerald Gongos & Gloria Kwong
- Prime Consultant Architect Ouri Scott, Urban Arts Architecture
- University personnel including Finance, Procurement, IT, Facilities, Risk Management, Sustainability, etc.
For more information, please refer to the terms of reference.
Request for Proposals
SFU posted a Request for Proposals (RFP) in May 2020 to seek prospective proponents to submit proposals for the provision of architect/prime consultant services for the Gathering House. The Prime Consultant’s Design Team will provide architectural services, sub-consultants including landscape consultant, structural and mechanical engineers.
The successful proponent chosen was Urban Arts Architecture Inc.
The full Request for Proposals includes the evaluation scoring of proposals and contract of services and can be read at Architect/Prime Consult Services Report.