- Undergraduate Students
Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate Programs
- Careers in Biology
- Student Life
- Tuition & Fees
Current Undergraduate Students
- Research Opportunities
- Co-operative Education
- Financial Aid & Awards
- Prospective Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Prospective Graduate Students
Current Graduate Students
- Graduate Degree Programs
- Student Life
- Student Resources
- Funding & Finances
- News & Events
Doctoral Thesis Preparation
Preparation for Examination of Doctoral Thesis
- If travel arrangements are necessary for the external examiner to attend the defense in person, then ten weeks prior to the examination date the student must submit the Approval of Examining Committee form along with a pdf copy of the abstract.
- If no travel arrangements are necessary for the external examiner (e.g., the external examiner will attend by zoom, or the external examiner lives in Greater Vancouver), then eight weeks prior to the examination date the student must submit the Approval of Examining Committee form along with a pdf copy of the abstract.
- Note that these deadlines are two or four weeks in advance of the deadline for the Approval form and abstract to be received at the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- The Approval form must include signatures of all committee members, indicating that they have seen the thesis and agree that it is essentially complete and ready for the defence. Please work with the Graduate Program Assistant to finalize the timing and arrangements for your defence. The Graduate Program Assistant will obtain a chairperson for the defence."
Thesis Defenses: Important Information for External Examiners