Accounting and Financial Management Fundamentals for Non-Financial Managers
What will I learn?
We'll cover the following:
- The steps in the accounting cycle
- Preparing financial statements
- The major roles and tasks of the financial executive
- A review of how the financial system works
- The general administrative structure of most organizations for the capital budgeting decision process, and the reasons for such a structure
- The importance of budgeting and the connections between goal, strategy and budget-driven operations
How will I learn?
This university-level course may consist of a combination of lectures, workshops, case studies, examinations, projects, papers, assignments and group presentations. It requires at-home study and preparation. You can expect reading and other assignments on a weekly basis.
How will I be evaluated?
We'll evaluate your performance in this course using a combination of assignments, exams, individual or group projects, participation and attendance.
Textbooks and learning materials
Course fees do not include textbooks or other materials. We recommend you purchase your textbooks as soon as you’ve registered.
The textbooks for this course are as follows:
Phillips and Libby. Fundamentals of Financial Accounting (5th ed., 2018). ISBN: 9781259269868. An ebook is available through the publisher, McGraw-Hill.
You will access other course materials using SFU's online course management system, Canvas. You will receive course details and Canvas access instructions on the first day of the course. You can check if your browser is compatible with Canvas here.
New to online learning? See About Online Learning for helpful videos and additional information.