Successful organizations know that effective human resource management is key to a competitive advantage. Learn the theory of human resource management and how to implement it to achieve organizational objectives. Topics include human resource strategies, legislation, job analysis, occupational health and safety, recruiting methods, orientation and training, performance evaluation methods, job evaluation techniques, employee benefit programs, and labour relations.
Human Resources Management
Schedule clarification: This course begins on the first date listed and ends six days after the last date listed. Between those times, you work at your own pace within the timelines set by the instructor.
What will I learn?
After completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Identify the main component of an HRIS
- Explain various strategic human resources management processes used to achieve an organization’s strategic objective
- Articulate the foundational importance of job analysis in HRM
- Outline the five steps in the labour relations process
- Apply effective employee relations strategies
- Examine where the responsibility for employment-related law lies in Canada
- Analyze factors affecting the utilization of recruitment and selection methods
- Examine the training process and its relevance to building organizational capacity
- Delineate past- and future-oriented performance evaluation methods
- Evaluate the Human Resource Planning process
- Assess effective employee retention strategies
- Evaluate the strategic importance of total reward strategies
How will I learn?
Prepare to spend six to 10 hours per week on coursework, which may include discussions, workshops, case studies, projects, papers, assignments and/or group presentations. You can expect reading and other assignments on a weekly basis.
You do not have to be online at specific times, but you should plan to access the course at least once every few days to keep up with your work and group assignments.
How will I be evaluated?
- Assignments (individual and group)
- Participation in online discussions
Textbooks and learning materials
Course fees do not include textbooks or other materials. We recommend you purchase your textbook as soon as you’ve registered:
Dessler, G. & Chhinzer, N. Revel for Human Resources Management in Canada (14th ed.), Pearson Canada (2019). An ebook is available through Pearson Education.
Hardware and software requirements
We deliver this course using SFU's online course management system, Canvas. You will receive course details and Canvas access instructions on the first day of the course. You can check if your browser is compatible with Canvas here.
New to online learning? See About Online Learning for helpful videos and additional information.
Professional development credits
This course may meet the requirements for the following designation(s):