Strategic Human Resources Planning
This course explores the link between organizational and human resources strategies, and provides the skills and tools you need for effective HR planning. Areas of focus include standard metrics of HR planning, relevant IT solutions, demand forecasting techniques, job- and competency-based approaches to aligning future needs with strategic objectives, management succession plans, success measurement, and the risks and limitations of outsourcing.
Register for a course at any time, with the option to apply to a program later.
- Mon, Sep 26 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 3 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 10 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 17 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 24 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Oct 31 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Nov 7 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Nov 14 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Nov 21 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Nov 28 (self-paced all week)
- Mon, Dec 5 (self-paced all week)
What you will learn
After completing this course, you’ll be able to do the following:
- Discuss the risks and limitations of outsourcing
- Explain current metrics used in strategic HR planning while leveraging different IT solutions (HRIS)
- Apply job analysis methods based on selection criteria
- Examine how mergers affect HR planning
- Evaluate effective approaches to link organizational strategy and HR and the barriers involved
- Evaluate various demand forecasting techniques to align with strategic objectives
- Recognize the challenges in measuring the success of a management succession plan
- Assess downsizing strategies to enhance organizational performance
How you will learn and be evaluated
- Prepare to spend 6–10 hours per week on coursework
- Expect readings and other assignments on a weekly basis
- Plan to access the course at least once every few days to keep up with your work and class discussions
You will be evaluated on:
- Assignments (individual and group)
- Participation in online discussions
Course fees do not include textbooks. We recommend you purchase your textbook as soon as you’ve registered. We will provide additional course materials online.
Belcourt, M. & Podolsky, M. Strategic Human Resources Planning, 7th edition. Top Hat eText, 2019. An ebook is available through VitalSource.
For online courses, you will need a computer with audio and microphone that is connected to the internet. Canvas is the online system that will be used for the course. For more information and online support, visit Online Learning.
Professional development credits
This course may meet the requirements for the following designation(s):