Liberal Arts and 55+ Program
SFU’s Liberal Arts and 55+ Program has been offering intellectually challenging non-credit courses to older adult learners since the 1970s. Offered year-round, our courses provide you with an opportunity to learn for the joy of learning, enhance your creativity and sharpen your critical thinking skills. Topics covered range from art and literature to history, science, philosophy and more.
Currently delivered online, our courses allow you to learn from the comfort of home while engaging with classmates from across the province and beyond. The online format may vary from course to course, with audio or video lectures, videoconferencing, online and offline activities, and discussions (see course descriptions for details).
Classes are open to learners of all ages, with a tuition discount for those 55+.
Courses and Events
- Architectural Photography: Buildings Inside and Out LIB243
- Belonging and Connection LIB235
- Dancing Ink: The History and Art of Chinese Characters LIB245
- Devil in Their Midst: Bulgakov and his Master and Margarita LIB252
- Kingdom of Glory: From Persia to Iran LIB244
- Story Catching: Mining Memories Through Guided Autobiography LIB147
- The Epic Quest from Homeric Fantasy to 21st-Century Speculative Fiction LIB239
- The Lighter Side of Mozart: Serenades, Divertimenti and Dances LIB246
- A Self-Discovery Journey with Tao Te Ching LIB201
- Failed Architecture LIB248
- From Khartoum to Lalibela: A Virtual Tour Through Lost Kingdoms of Africa LIB247
- Gone But Not Forgotten LIB251
- Writing Ourselves Into Time and Place LIB253
- Writing from the Body: Breath, Sound and Movement Transform Expression LIB250
- Your Next Move: Transitioning with Intention LIB139
- Babel Here and Now: Language Families Across the World LIB238
- Four Weeks, Four Philosophers: Kant, Hegel, Kierkegaard and Marx LIB241
- Light Your Creative Fire: Creative Thinking Through the Arts LIB131
- Meanings in Life: An Inquiry LIB213
- Representations of Migration: Homes, Hopes and Journeys LIB242
- The Art of the Renaissance LIB240
- To Speak with a Golden Voice: The Legacy of Bill Reid LIB249
Join our email list
Sign up for email updates about this program.