Liberal Arts and 55+ Program
SFU’s Liberal Arts and 55+ Program has been offering intellectually challenging non-credit courses to older adult learners since the 1970s. Offered year-round, our courses provide you with an opportunity to learn for the joy of learning, enhance your creativity and sharpen your critical thinking skills. Topics covered range from art and literature to history, science, philosophy and more.
Currently delivered online, our courses allow you to learn from the comfort of home while engaging with classmates from across the province and beyond. The online format may vary from course to course, with audio or video lectures, videoconferencing, online and offline activities, and discussions (see course descriptions for details).
Classes are open to learners of all ages, with a tuition discount for those 55+.
Courses and Events
- After the Pandemic LIB215
- Blues and Gospel: Where All the Music Began LIB226
- Light Your Creative Fire: Creative Thinking Through the Arts LIB131
- Myth is Not a Four-Letter Word: Legends in Genesis LIB222
- Neighbourhood Nature: Observing, Interacting, Learning LIB237
- Ramsey Theory: Complete Chaos is Impossible LIB225
- The Enduring Legacy of Florence Nightingale LIB224
- A Short History of Jazz Violin LIB232
- Art Behind the Seens: Exploring Online Art Museums LIB211
- Belonging and Connection LIB235
- Complex is Not the Same as Complicated LIB234
- Fantastic Films from an Anxious Decade: 1950s Science Fiction LIB228
- Haunted Heroines: Gothic Romance 1764-1864 LIB230
- Let’s Talk About the Future of Canadian Theatre LIB233
Join our email list
Sign up for email updates about this program.
Support the program
Your gift to the program will help maintain the quality of our offerings and ensure that they remain accessible to everyone. Make your gift today!
The quickest, easiest way to secure your seat is to register online. Registering online is simple, secure and convenient.