Paul Tai Yip Ng Memorial Award
Mr. Peter Eng, family members, friends and colleagues established this fund within the David Lam Centre at Simon Fraser University in 1997 in memory of Mr. Peter Eng’s father, the late Mr. Paul Tai Yip Ng. Presently the fund provides for the annual awarding of a prize to a student who has composed an outstanding paper on intercultural issues, particularly as they relate to people in or from Canada and the Asia Pacific region.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
The award will be given to the best graduate student research paper that advances our understanding of intercultural issues, particularly as they relate to people in or from Canada and the Asia Pacific region.
- The paper must have been completed as part of the applicant’s graduate studies at Simon Fraser University in the academic year before or the year of the application deadline. The maximum number of words is 11,000.
- The award is intended for papers only writen by students.
Terms of the Award:
The winner will be presented a cheque in the amount of $1,200 at the award ceremony in Spring 2023.
How to Submit:
Submissions consisting of the following should be sent to email@example.com with Paul Tai Yip Ng Memorial Award - Applicant's Name in the Subject line by February 1, 2023.
1. a one-page cover letter from the graduate student expressing his/her intention to submit the paper for this competition; and how the paper advances our understanding of intercultural relations, particularly as they relate to people in or from Canada and the Asia Pacific.
2. a copy of the graduate student's paper (in PDF); and
3. a short nomination letter by the supervising professor or professor who taught the course for which the paper was written. The nomination letter should include the supervising professor’s evaluation of the student’s work.
March 15, 2021
April 24, 2020
April 30, 2019
April 19, 2018
June 07, 2017
May 13, 2016
May 15, 2013
"Nourishing Life, The Daoist Concept of Virtue: Its Applicability to Education"
Jennifer Walsh Marr
"Negotiating legitimate participation in university: Multicultural students and stigmas"
"Visible minorities' educational choices in Canada"
"Multiple Modes of Biculturalism: Antecedents and Outcomes"
"Immigrant Effect in Melting Pot and Multicultural Societies: A Comparison Between The US and Canada"
"Tensions and Dilemmas Faced by Canadian and Chinese Immigrant Students in Canadian Schools"