- Undergraduate Studies
- Graduate Studies
- Alumni Network
- News & Events
- Faculty & Staff Portal
Master of Arts for Teachers of English (MATE)
The Master of Arts for Teachers of English (MATE) Program is an innovative and accessible graduate degree program that offers English teachers in the elementary, secondary, or college system within the province of British Columbia the opportunity to pursue advanced studies in English literature. The MATE program is not taking applications in 2023.
The MATE program is not taking applications in 2023. We hope to begin a new cohort for 2023–2025. We regret the disappointment this announcement may cause to prospective students.
The MATE Program is tailored to the schedules of teachers without compromising the quality of instruction, intellectual engagement, or the rigour and breadth of scholarship of the regular MA program in English. The 2020-2022 iteration of MATE will have three courses focused on Indigenous literatures.
The MATE Program will benefit graduate students in several ways, including:
- Significant salary increases in most professional teaching environments;
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate working teachers;
- Coverage of a broad spectrum of traditional and new areas of English studies, including Shakespeare, Indigenous, Asian Canadian, and Black Canadian literatures, important areas of research and teaching for BC teachers of English;
- Development and refinement of interpretative, critical, and scholarly skills;
- Development of professional competency in literary analysis and writing;
- Opportunity to engage in specialized academic scholarship; and
- Preparation to join the academic research community for further study.
MATE is a two-year cohort program, enrolling a select group of 12-15 students in each cohort. The 2020-2022 cohort will be meeting at the SFU Surrey campus. The MATE support staff are based in the English department at the SFU Burnaby campus.
Simon Fraser University
MATE Program, English department
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada V5S 1S6
The MATE program is offering a scholarship of approximately $2,000 CAD to the student with the highest GPA after having completed four terms of study.
No application is necessary for this scholarship.