NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
June 12, 2019: A very warm congratulations to Genver Quirino, recipient of the 2019 Best Undergraduate Essay in International Studies Award!
June 11, 2019: We are pleased to announce that we have received the official letter from President Petter's office confirming tenure and promotion for Chris Gibson. Please join us in congratulating Chris on this exciting milestone!
June 6-7, 2019: Jeff Checkel is teaching an intensive doctoral seminar on 'Process Tracing' at the Berlin Graduate School for Global and Transregional Studies, Free University Berlin.
June 4, 2019: Irene Pang has been elected to serve as a council member for the Political Economy of the World System (PEWS) section of the American Sociological Association (ASA). Congratulations, Irene!
June 1-7, 2019: Canada’s Congress of Social Sciences and Humanities | Vancouver, BC | Register at https://www.congress2019.ca/
The annual congress is a convergence of over 70 scholarly associations, each holding their annual conference under one umbrella.
- June 1, 2019: Nancy Teeple (SFU) will present preliminary findings on paper Canada’s Role in Arms Control and Disarmament, co-authored with Nicole Jackson.
- June 3, 2019: Nicole Jackson will convene a joint interdisciplinary Canadian Association of Slavists (CAS)/Canadian Political Science Association (CPSA) roundtable on Russian Security in the 21st Century with scholars Mark Kramer (Harvard U) Nadia Boyadjieva (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences/Davis Center, Harvard U) Anne Clunan (Naval Postgraduate Institute), financial support provided by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- June 5, 2019: Elizabeth Cooper will participate in the opening keynote panel at the Canadian Association of International Development Practitioners. The opening panel's theme is questioning the concept and practice of inclusive development.
- June 6, 2019: Elizabeth Cooper will present preliminary findings from a study she is conducting entitled 'Making scholarship more practice and policy relevant: Analysis of the Canadian Journal of Development Studies’ peer review process and its implications'.
- June 6, 2019: Oskar "Timo" Thoms will present his paper, 'Does decentralization of national police systems help or harm physical integrity protection?' at the CPSA conference.
- For more, see: https://casid-acedi.ca/news/annual-conference/05-28-2019/casid2019-conference-update-%E2%80%93-student-paper-prize-deadline-today
May 16, 2019: After the conclusion of the 3rd PrepCom last week, Friends of the NPT will have an uphill struggle to produce a successful RevCon in 2020. Paul Meyer's commentary on what is at stake and a critique of a US initiative which threatens to be a major distraction from implementing existing commitments has just been published. Read it here.
May 16, 2019: Chatham House International Affairs Blog has just named Leslie Armijo's co-authored book, The BRICS and Collective Financial Statecraft, among their "Top 5" in international affairs for April. Great work, Leslie!