Masters in International Studies
Study, Explore, and Make a Difference in the World
Do you see yourself as part of a world that extends beyond where you currently live? Are you motivated to think and work internationally, in pursuit of a more peaceful and just world? Are you curious to learn about societies, economies, and political systems in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, and/or the Middle East? If so, then the Masters of Arts in International Studies (MAIS) may be perfect for you.
We are a community of scholars, teachers, and students who work on real world issues: we seek to bridge the gap between what goes on at the university and what goes on in the places we study. Mostly, we work on regions facing significant challenges, whether it be long-standing conflicts, a lack of stable institutions that can protect human rights, or institutions that maintain or deepen economic inequality and poverty.
We believe that all of us have a role to play in resolving these issues, not as members of the so-called “developed” world, but as partners with individuals, grassroots organizations, and communities across the planet that are working to make the world a more promising place for all.
Benefits of the MAIS at SFU
There are many reasons to do your MA in International Studies at SFU, including:
- You will learn through an interdisciplinary curriculum that explores theory as well as real world experiences relating to the complex intersections of international development, conflict, and governance
- You will actively participate in your learning through small seminar classes
- You will have opportunities to build topical and regional expertise
- You will be stimulated in an active international research environment
- You will be challenged yet supported by professors who are leading experts in their fields
- You will have choices for meaningful co-op work
- You will study in our downtown Vancouver campus, affording a wealth of local opportunities
- You will gain professional development and career advancement support
- You will graduate from one of Canada's top universities*
* SFU has consistently been ranked as Canada’s best comprehensive university by Maclean’s Magazine in their annual university rankings (#1 in 2016, 2017 and 2018). We earn top marks for our world-class social science research, award-winning students and faculty, services for students, and new library acquisitions.
Learn more about: