What causes global inequality and what are the different strategies states use to develop?
What are the greatest threats to national and global security and what tools and responses are necessary to address them?
In the wake of wars and political turmoil, can outside actors be effective in rebuilding states?
These are the types of questions we grapple with in the MA in International Studies.
Master of Arts in International Studies
The Master of Arts in International Studies (MAIS) will provide you with the multidisciplinary education and practical experiences you need to understand and address complex global problems. We cover a wide range of perspectives in international studies, including critical and alternative perspectives. With leading scholars as your professors, and a range of research and work opportunities, this program will empower you to connect academic theory, deep regional expertise, and practical forms of engagement.
Key Qualities of the MAIS:
- Small learning cohorts (typically 15 students) in core courses
- Teaching and supervision by world-class experts
- Diversity of elective courses spanning regions and topics
- Students choose between completing a thesis or two extended essays
- Career guidance and options to pursue co-op work placement
- Practical training related to research and policy engagement
- Professors with deep regional expertise, including in Africa, Middle East, Latin America, Central Asia, China, Russia, and India
- All admitted students receive at least one year of full tuition support
The School for International Studies offers all admitted students full tuition and additional financial awards to top-admitted students.
Learn more →
This is a great program to find one's place in the world, not only professionally, but also personally.
F T I