Graduate funding & awards
A limited number of Graduate Fellowships are awarded to students in the Fall and Spring terms.
Travel and Minor Research Awards
These funds are intended to help graduate students with their research related expenses. Students who have been accepted to present at a conference are also eligible.
Private awards vary in amount and numbers depending on the terms of reference of the award, as well as the availability of funds. Applications for all private awards are only accepted once a year. All private awards are normally disbursed in the Fall term. Please read the terms of reference to ensure eligibility before submitting an application.
David Lam Centre for International Communication
The David Lam Centre provides various research funding opportunities for both graduate and undergraduate students.
GSS Professional Development Grants
The GSS is proud to provide a source of funding to graduate students presenting at conferences or engaging in field research. Graduate students taking part in these professional development activities may apply for a grant of $499. Grants are distributed by lottery to top-scoring applications coded according to an objective system established by the GSS Grants Allocation Committee.
Please direct questions to the GSS and not to IS.
Teaching Assistantships (TA) are usually available in the fall and spring terms. TA positions will be circulated to International Studies graduate students as they become available. All TA/TM positions are posted on the Dean of Graduate Studies website.
Graduate International Travel and Research Award
The GIRTA provides support to students who must travel outside of Canada in order to undertake research for their degree requirements. The award is valued to a maximum of $6,250 and is tenable only in the term in which the travel is occuring.
Mitacs Globalink Research Award
The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities overseas.
The Simons Foundation International Travel Grant
The Simons Foundation International Travel Grant provides support to declared International Studies Majors or Master’s Students to undertake study, research, internship, or other volunteership opportunities abroad.
Terms of reference
- The award is valued up to a maximum of $6,000 and is tenable in the Fall, Spring or Summer term.
- Applicants must be actively enrolled, declared IS Majors or Master’s students.
- Awards are allocated according to student achievement and demonstrated financial need.
- Students may only hold one ISTA during their studies at the university.
- There are two application intakes each year. The deadline for submission is October 1 or February 1.
- Awards will be dispersed after proof of completion is documented.
- The recipient will submit a one-page essay on the experience within one month of return.
Submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- advising transcript in PDF format (sorted by both term and subject)
- one-page document that includes:
- Description of the proposed learning opportunity.
- Explanation of how the experience would support your academic and career objectives, and foster engaged, global citizenship.