Undergraduate funding & awards
Terms of Reference
- The award is valued up to a maximum of $6,000 and is tenable in the Fall, Spring or Summer term.
- Applicants must be actively enrolled, declared IS Majors or Master’s students.
- Awards are allocated according to student achievement and demonstrated financial need.
- Students may only hold one ISTA during their studies at the university.
- There are two application intakes each year. The deadline for submission is October 1 or February 1.
- Awards will be dispersed after proof of completion is documented.
- The recipient will submit a one-page essay on the experience within one month of return.
Submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- advising transcript in PDF format (sorted by both term and subject)
- one-page document that includes:
- Description of the proposed learning opportunity.
- Explanation of how the experience would support your academic and career objectives, and foster engaged, global citizenship.
Each semester there are a limited number of part-time workstudy positions available in the School for International Studies. Workstudy positions are awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need to students in good academic standing.
Mitacs Globalink Research Award
The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides $6,000 for senior undergraduate and graduate students in Canada to conduct 12–24-week research projects at universities overseas.
Ted and Emily McWhinney Scholarship in International Studies
The Ted and Emily McWhinney Scholarship in International Studies will be awarded annually to 4th year or graduating undergraduate students enrolled in the International Studies program on the basis of outstanding academic achievement in coursework and research.
One scholarship will be given to a student whose academic excellence is related to coursework and research focused on Greece and the Balkans, from the 20th century forward and the second scholarship will be given to a student whose academic excellence is related to coursework and research focused on India, from the establishment of the Republic of India in 1947 and onwards.
The award will be made by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee based upon the nomination of the Chair, Hellenic Studies and the Director, School of International Studies.
Dr. Alfredo E. Hurtado Memorial Essay Award
One award, valued at a minimum of $1,500, will be granted annually to an undergraduate student who meets the following criteria:
- is enrolled in full-time courses in a bachelor's degree program;
has a declared major or minor in an International Studies Program
- is in good academic standing; and
- has produced the best essay with Latin American-related content.
The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee upon the nomination of the Director, School for International Studies.
Best Undergraduate International Studies Essay Award
Awarded to a declared International Studies student annually (valued at $500). By faculty nomination.
David Lam Centre for International Communication
The David Lam Centre provides various research funding opportunities for both graduate and undergraduate students.