SoTL 101: Introduction to SoTL and Teaching + Learning Inquiry
What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)? What do we mean by an inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning? How is SoTL different from other research or from scholarly teaching? How is SoTL evolving?
If you want to better understand how students learn or to improve your own teaching through an inquiry-based research model, we invite you to attend our seminar. Teaching and learning research applies to a wide range of scholars and practitioners.
This seminar will:
- Introduce you to key trends in higher education within the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning;
- Provide suggestions for engaging in research into teaching and learning regardless of your prior familiarity;
- Introduce you to our team, our new approach to support SoTL at SFU; and
- Ways to engage in the development of scholarly communities of practice.
Who should attend?
- Instructors who have worked with us before -- learn about our new approach and resources available to you**
- Instructors who want to learn more about inquiry-based research / Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Graduate or undergraduate students interested in working as research personnel on teaching and learning research projects
**Note: You will only ever have to attend SoTL 101 once. We ask that all former and new partners and collaborators attend, even if you have already conducted an ISTLD-funded project.
Watch a video on the History of SoTL, by the Center for Engaged Learning at ELON University.