- BSc Physics, second major Philosophy, Montana State University
- MSc Philosophy of Science, London School of Economics
- PhD Philosophy of Science, History and Philosophy of Science Department, University of Pittsburgh (2009)
Please see my professional page for more up to date information.
Current Research Interests
Metaphysics and methodology of causation; causal and mathematical explanation; temporal experience and action/agency
Selected Journal articles
- (2022) “Hodgson on the relations between Philosophy, Science, and Time,” British Journal for the History of Philosophy, https://doi.org/10.1080/09608788.2022.2046544
- (2018) "A Pragmatist Challenge to Constraint Laws," Metascience, 27(1) 19-25.(2017) "Patterns, Information, and Causation," The Journal of Philosophy.
- (2016) "Complements, not competitors: causal and mathematical explanations," The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- (2014) “A field guide to mechanisms: Parts I and II,” Philosophy Compass 9(4): 274-293.
- (2013) “When to expect violations of causal faithfulness and why it matters,” Philosophy of Science S(5): 672-683.
- (2012) “Mechanisms: what are they evidence for in evidence-based medicine,” Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 18(5): 992-999.
- (2012) “The Case for Regularity in Mechanistic Causal Explanation,” Synthese 189(3): 415-432.
- (2009) with Rick Grush, “A Brief History of Time Consciousness: Historical Precursors to James and Husserl,” Journal of the History of Philosophy 47(2): 277-307.
Selected Book chapters
- (2023) “Trueing,” in The Pragmatist Challenge, edited by H.K. Andersen and S.D. Mitchell, Oxford University Press.
- (2022) “Causal Modeling and the Efficacy of Action,” in Mental Action and the Conscious Mind, edited by M. Brent, and L. Miracchi Titus, Routledge Press.
- (2019) “The Hodgsonian account of temporal experience” for Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Temporal Experience, edited by A. Bardon.
- (2017) "What would Hume say? Regularities, laws, and mechanisms," Routledge Handbook of Mechanisms and Mechanical Philosophy, edited by Stuart Glennan and Phyllis Ilari.
- (2016) "Reduction in the Biomedical Sciences," Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Medicine, edited by Harold Kincaid, Miriam Solomon, and Jeremy Simon.
- (2013) “The Representation of Time in Agency,” in Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of Time, edited by Adrian Bardon and Heather Dyke, Wiley-Blackwell.
Radio discussion on the ethics of radio-controlled insects with Scott Anderson (UBC) and Dennis Arellano from BCIT's Evolution Radio 107.9 Listen in from 6'30" in this clip.
Future courses may be subject to change.
Philosophers in the News
We ask kids, seniors and a philosopher: Does time really go faster as you age? along with CBC Radio 1 interview here (On The Coast)