Important Updates for the Fall Term 2021:
- Philosophy department: most PHIL courses are in person, with 10 courses offered remotely.
- See a list of all Remote courses at SFU for the Fall term here.
- If you need to speak with anyone in the Philosophy Department, including the undergraduate advisor, we also ask that you email that person to book an appointment before coming the Department. Instructors, TAs, and staff are available by email: see Contact page and People page.
- Undergraduate advising, program declarations: email Jay Leardi, the Undergraduate Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org (include student ID#)
- Fall Term deadlines and Academic dates. Deadline to withdraw from a course with a WD notation, or to opt into the elective grade system: November 2.
- New elective grade policy : P/CR/NC, pilot project for Spring/Summer/Fall 2021. List of exclusions for the new policy. Specifically for Philosophy:
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any requirement for a Major, Joint Major, Honours, or Minor in Philosophy (with the exception of PHIL 477 and 478).
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any prerequisite requirement for any PHIL course.
- Students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any requirement for the Ethics Certificate, or the Philosophy and Methodology of Science Certificate.
- Philosophy Majors and Honours students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any WQB requirement.
- Regular Grading policy for program requriements for other departments is still in effect.
- FASS Return to Campus Plan and Communicable Disease Plan
- SFSS Advocate: Returning to Campus and COVID 19
- Information for students, including academic policies for current term
- My SSP app - 24/7 mental health support and counselling
- Student Bulletins published by Student Services
- Student Guide to online learning
- Guide for international students
- U-Pass exemptions and eligibility
Updates revised: September 07, 2021
SFU Philosophy Events
Upcoming colloquia: please visit this page https://www.sfu.ca/philosophy/events/colloquium-series.html
SFU Philosophy News
- O.G. (Original/Regular Phil Club) where we deconstruct. discuss, and debate a broad overview and variety of topics in Philosophy, which could include ethical dilemmas. This will be held Wednesdays at 1:30PM in the Phil Commons Room.
- Sci-Fi Phil Club where we ponder things such as the existence of time, discuss the modalities of science fiction works (i.e. Interstellar, Marvel's Infinity War) and square up in philosophical dispute will be held on Mondays at 1:30PM in the Phil Commons Room.