In-person teaching, including in-person exams, has been discontinued for the rest of the semester. Philosophy courses continue but through online/remote instruction and take-home exams.
Students: please check your SFU email accounts and CANVAS course pages for information from your instructors about how your individual classes will be proceeding.
- The Philosophy department's offices are closed until further notice; instructors, TAs and staff are available by email.
- Undergraduate advising, enrollment issues, declarations, and graduation checks: email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your student ID#
- See our Contact page and People page for staff and faculty email.
The Philosophy department emergency response team handles issues relating to COVID-19 and reporting requirements for our Philosophy students and faculty. The team can be reached at email@example.com; please notify us if:
- You have contacted 811, and are self-isolating because you are experiencing symptoms or have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19
- You are getting tested for COVID-19. If you know the results, please also report whether it was negative or positive.
- You have concerns which require immediate action (not related to courses - please contact your instructors for that)
Check SFU updates on COVID-19 FAQs
- The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences FAQ for students: https://www.sfu.ca/fass/news/2020/03/covid-19-info-for-fass-students.html
- Handy infographic on completing Spring term: https://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/fass/news/2020/03/FASS-pathways-to-completing_spring-2020.pdf
- Archive of student communications: http://www.sfu.ca/students/support/updates.html
Stay safe, everyone!
[published 17 March, 2020; updated 2 April, 2020]
SFU Philosophy News
- SFU Philosophy Past and Present (not) at Pacific APA
- SFU Philosophy Statement of Solidarity on Transgender Day of Visibility
- Connect Creative with Critical Thinking to Develop Minds in the Classroom
- International Women’s Day: Introducing ‘Cool Gabe’
- Alumnus Profile: Tyler Schwartz
- Black History Month 2020
- O.G. (Original/Regular Phil Club) where we deconstruct. discuss, and debate a broad overview and variety of topics in Philosophy, which could include ethical dilemmas. This will be held Wednesdays at 1:30PM in the Phil Commons Room.
- Sci-Fi Phil Club where we ponder things such as the existence of time, discuss the modalities of science fiction works (i.e. Interstellar, Marvel's Infinity War) and square up in philosophical dispute will be held on Mondays at 1:30PM in the Phil Commons Room.