Term Updates: Fall 2022:
- Philosophy department: all PHIL courses are in person.
- If you need to speak with anyone in the Philosophy Department, including the undergraduate advisor, we ask that you email to book an appointment before coming to the Department. Instructors, TAs, and staff are available by email: see Contact page and People page.
- Undergraduate advising, program declarations: email Jay Leardi, the Undergraduate Advisor, at email@example.com (include student ID#)
- Fall Term deadlines and Academic dates. Deadline to withdraw from a course with a WD notation, or to opt into the elective grade system: November 1 .
- New elective grade policy : P/CR/NC, pilot project from Spring 2021 to Summer 2023. List of exclusions for the new policy. Specifically for Philosophy:
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any requirement for a Major, Joint Major, Honours, or Minor in Philosophy (with the exception of PHIL 477 and 478).
- Students can use a P or CR to satisfy any prerequisite requirement for any PHIL course.
- Students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any requirement for the Ethics Certificate, or the Philosophy and Methodology of Science Certificate.
- Philosophy Majors and Honours students can use a P (but not a CR) to satisfy any WQB requirement.
- Regular Grading policy for program requriements for other departments is still in effect.
- Information for students, including academic policies for current term
- My SSP app - 24/7 mental health support and counselling
- Student Bulletins published by Student Services
Updates revised: September 20, 2022
SFU Philosophy Events
Upcoming colloquia: please visit this page https://www.sfu.ca/philosophy/events/colloquium-series.html
SFU Philosophy News
- Blended learning: spotlight on SFU’s newest course designation
- MA Student Aaron Richardson at Aesthetics For Birds - Accessibility and the Problem of Alt Text
- Welcome to SFU Philosophy Kino Zhao and Greg Lauro
- Horban Award 2022
- Endre Begby SSHRC Insight Grant
- Grad Student News: Mete H. Gencer Conference Talks
- O.G. (Original/Regular Phil Club) where we deconstruct. discuss, and debate a broad overview and variety of topics in Philosophy, which could include ethical dilemmas.
- Sci-Fi Phil Club where we ponder things such as the existence of time, discuss the modalities of science fiction works (i.e. Interstellar, Marvel's Infinity War) and square up in philosophical dispute.