What can an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist help with?

As International Student Advisors, Immigration Specialists, we are experienced and trained in supporting your transition to SFU.

  • As Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants, we are qualified to provide advice on your study permit, employment options, student work permits, visas, and other topics related to Canadian immigration regulations.
    • We’re also happy to answer questions related to your family members' immigration documents (e.g. spousal open work permit, study permits for children, entry visas etc.)
    • If you are seeking advice on Permanent Residence (PR), please send your questions via email to
  • We can advise you on your medical insurance and how to navigate the Canadian healthcare system.
  • You may also come see us with questions about navigating a new language, culture or education system – if we don’t have the answers, we will point you in the right direction.

Click here for more information about the ISAP team.

How can you prepare for your appointment with an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist?

To make the most of your appointment and ensure you receive the most accurate, comprehensive advice possible, we recommend that you:

Know which immigration documents (e.g. study permit, visa, electronic travel authorization, work permit, etc.) you hold, as well as their issue and expiry dates

  • bring copies to your appointment if possible, in case you need to refer to them during our conversation
  • if applicable, bring copies of any correspondence you have had with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

Make a list of your questions to ensure you can cover everything

  • review our Instruction Guides page before coming in so that we can focus on your specific questions rather than providing a general overview

Plan ahead as much as possible

  • depending on the circumstances, you may have a few different processes to follow so it's helpful to plan your timeline in advance, especially if you have upcoming travel plans

 What can you expect from your appointment?

We believe in empowering you with the information and tools to make important decisions related to your academic, personal and professional goals. Here are some of the things you can expect from us:

Clear, comprehensive and current advice relating to your Canadian immigration status and documents

  • Our scope of practice extends to Canadian immigration regulations only. If you need advice about documents for another country, please contact that country's embassy or consulate

A range of options depending on your circumstances and goals

  • We may not have a perfect answer for you, but we aim to give you enough information and guidance to consider all the possibilities within the current policies set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), as well as SFU policies, and choose a course of action based on your own priorities

Advice on completing your application and a review of your documents before submission

  • We can provide tips and feedback regarding your application for a study permit, work permit, or visa; suggest additional supporting documents or explanations as needed; and review your application to ensure it is complete before you submit it
  • If you would like someone to prepare and submit the application on your behalf, or if you have questions about the forms or documents required for a permanent residence application, consider hiring a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant or lawyer

Help with looking up and interpreting application processing times

  • IRCC processing times are not guaranteed and often fluctuate. We have no influence over the processing times

Guidance on how to communicate with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and advocate for yourself 

  • Although we do not have special privileges when dealing with IRCC and cannot typically contact them on your behalf, we can advise you on approaches to communicating with IRCC diirectly


How to cancel or reschedule an appointment

Undergraduate and Graduate students: Log in to Advisor Link to cancel, change, or reschedule an appointment.