Enrollment Requirements for International Students

July 4th, 2023

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently announced a new temporary public policy which allows eligible foreign workers to study without a study permit. Please visit the IRCC webpage: Public policy allowing some work permit holders to study without a study permit for more information.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires you to actively pursue your studies while at SFU. SFU is required to report on the enrollment status of international students twice a year.

Your enrollment at SFU affects your ability to work, study, and stay in Canada. To help you comply with the conditions of your study permit, review the information in this section carefully and contact an International Student Advisor, Immigration Specialist if you have any questions.

This information applies to international students enrolled at SFU's Burnaby, Surrey and Vancouver campuses, and students enrolled in the Master of Digital Media Program at The Centre for Digital Media.

SFU operates on a trimester system with the calendar year divided into three main academic terms. The following terms make up an academic year:

  • Fall Term: September – December
  • Spring Term: January – April
  • Summer Term: May – August
    • Intersession Term: May – June
    • Summer Session: July – August

Note: IRCC regulations refer to a "calendar year" (January – December) and not an "academic year" (September – August).

All International Student Advisors, Immigration Specialists at SFU are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants and licensees of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC).


The information on this site is changed as Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) updates the International Student Program and its requirements for institutions. See our news and updates section and the IRCC website.