i This website contains general information and resources related to policies, procedures, and application processes for international students.

For the latest updates and specific information on COVID-19 including impacts on immigration applications (e.g. study permits, work permits, visas), travel restrictions, work eligibility, and medical insurance, please refer to our FAQ page:

COVID-19 FAQ for International Students

Find a doctor or clinic

In general, people in Canada either have a family doctor or general practitioner (GP), whom they make appointments to visit, or go to a walk-in clinic and see the physician on duty. 

  • Visit the BC College of Physicians website for more information.
  • You are under no obligation to commit to the first doctor you visit so take your time to find someone who makes you feel comfortable. It may be possible to find someone who speaks your native language if it is commonly spoken in the Lower Mainland.
  • If you do not have a family doctor, it can be beneficial to visit the same walk-in clinic every time you have a medical issue, as the clinic will keep a record of your medical history.
  • Many students use the health services on campus at Health & Counselling Services at the Burnaby campus.

Find a dentist

To find a dentist, contact the BC Dental Association.

Dental services are not covered through the BC Medical Services Plan, but SFU students do have some coverage via the SFSS/GSS Extended Health and Dental Plan.  Visit the plan website for details.  If you're enrolled with a different extended health insurance provider (as is the case for some graduate Teaching Assistants), check with your provider for details of your coverage.