Upcoming Changes to the BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)

March 28, 2024

On March 19, 2024, the British Columbia PNP announced several changes to update its selection guidelines in the level of education, experience and language skills required for certain Skills Immigration streams.

Starting in January 2025, the current International Graduate and International Post-Graduate streams will be replaced with the following three new streams for graduates of Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctorate programs from eligible post-secondary institutions:

  • A Bachelor’s stream for recent graduates with bachelor’s degrees holding an indeterminate full-time job offer;
  • A Master’s stream for recent graduates with master’s degrees, in any field of study, holding a minimum one-year full-time job offer in a skilled occupation; and 
  • A Doctorate stream for graduates and candidates of doctoral-level programs

Note that the minimum language proficiency level will be increased for most of the BC PNP streams as well. For more information about the upcoming changes, review the BC PNP’s News here

In addition to the BC PNP categories, there are other pathways to permanent residence (PR) in Canada that are available for international students to explore. As the eligibility criteria and application process differ among various PR streams, check the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)’s website here.  

As an international student, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) up to 3 years after graduation, provided that you meet all the eligibility requirements. The PGWP is an open work permit and will allow you to work in Canada to gain valuable work experience. If you are interested in applying for Canadian permanent residency, the PGWP provides an opportunity to gain the skilled work experience which may be required for certain PR applications. For more information about how to apply for a post-graduation work permit after graduation, review the following online resources:

If you have any questions about the PGWP, connect with one of our International Student Advisors, Immigration Specialists for assistance. 

For inquiries related to the BC PNP and other permanent residency pathways to Canada, you may contact BC PNP and/or IRCC directly. You may also consult with an authorized immigration representative (e.g. a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant or Immigration Lawyer) outside of the university. For information about finding an authorized representative, please visit the IRCC website.