Congratulations on your upcoming graduation from Simon Fraser University. This is an amazing accomplishment and you should be SFU proud!
When you are completing your capstone draft or final course it is recommended that you run your Academic Progress Report (APR). Your APR will show any outstanding program or university requirements. The only requirement that should show as “Not Satisfied” is your final capstone.
If you have any questions about your progress please reach out to your graduate supervisor or Graduate Program Assistant.
During your final term you will need to apply to graduate. You may apply to graduate at any time in what you're planning to be your final term and you do not have to wait until your defence or thesis has been submitted to the library. If circumstances change, it is a straightforward process to withdraw your application to graduate.
You must apply to graduate no later than Friday, September 3 for Convocation Fall 2021.
- Log into your student account at goSFU.
- Click the drop down menu under Academics.
- Select Apply for Graduation.
- Read the instructions, scroll down, and click the Accept button to begin the online application process.
- After payment is processed in step 10, return to Student Task WorkCentre tab to click Complete button to submit the application.
- To check your graduation application status, to cancel your application, or for any other questions, please refer to the FAQ page.
NOTE: If you encounter any errors or issues with the graduation application please take the following steps:
- Make sure your browser is up to date.
- Check your browser settings and change if necessary to allow pop-ups.
- Clear your cache, close your browser, and try again.
- Try a different browser, such as Microsoft Edge or Safari.
- Ensure your browser default language is US English default (see screen shot).
If you are in a master’s or doctoral program that requires an oral defence and library submission this must take place prior to August 31.
If you are in any courses they must be completed by August 31.
Approximately 3 weeks before convocation, you can confirm your attendance:
- Log into goSFU
- On the top Main Menu, click Self Service > Graduation/Convocation > Confirm Convoc Attendance
- Click the ceremony code for your designated ceremony (A through F)
- See also: Full Convocation Schedule
- Confirm the details listed on this page, specifically your name and credential
- The name will be your legal name. If there is an error please contact email@example.com
- Read the permission to release photographs and select your choice
- Click Confirm Attendance
- A new screen will open confirming your attendance.
- NOTE: You may confirm that you have successfully completed this process by checking that the "Confirm Attendance" link is now greyed out.
All graduands wear regalia at convocation. At SFU it normally includes a gown, hood and a hat or Cambridge Bonnet. Master’s and Doctoral students wear a hood specific to their credential. Gowns are not floor length and your mid-calf and lower may be exposed. Doctoral students should also note that their gowns are open in the front which will show part of your outfit underneath.
Graduands are welcome to wear their Indigenous ceremonial dress, other cultural ceremonial dress, or their military or law enforcement dress uniform with, or instead of, the gown at the convocation ceremonies. In these instances, graduands must still be hooded.
Once you have confirmed your attendance now you need to rent your regalia. You may rent your regalia the day of convocation, however, you receive a discount when reserving in advance.
- Follow the instructions from Gaspard and click Rent Regalia
- You will be prompted to add your information, review your order and submit payment
- If you have any problems or concerns regarding renting your regalia please call Gaspard at 1-866-949-5703 Monday to Friday 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (PST), email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form on their website.
- When sending an email to Gaspard please include your name, institution name, student number and order number.
Instead of renting you may purchase your regalia directly through Gaspards.
Not attending convocation?
Your parchment normally be available for pick up at GPS during normal office hours starting the week after convocation. You may designate another individual to pick it up on your behalf by adding a document pick-up release on your goSFU account.
All parchments not picked up at the end of the month will be mailed to your mailing address.