Allowing third party access to your student information
Using Information Release/Privacy indicators
Student’s personal information and records are protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA"). The University and its employees share a legal obligation to protect personal information in the custody or under the control of SFU.
An Information Release/Privacy Indicator is a service within the Student Center in the Student Information System that allows you to regulate third party access (i.e. an individual or an organization) to your personal information.
Managing Privacy Service Indicators
- Log in to the Student Information System through go.sfu.ca
- In the Personal Information section, select "Information Release/Privacy"
- To add an indicator, select "Add Information Privacy Indicators"
- Select one of the following Service Indicator codes by using the magnifying glass search feature:
- F02 Release No Information (this may be directed to a specific person or organization)
- F03 Authorization to Release Application Information (information relevant to the latest admission application)
- F05 Authorization to Release Financial Aid Info (Specific to Financial Aid information)
- F07 Authorization to Release Academic Record
- F08 Authorization to Release Student Account Information
- F09 Authorization for Document Pick-Up
- Enter the first and last name of the person or organization being granted authorization or being restricted
- Select the relationship between yourself and the third party
- In the Comments section, write exactly what this person or organization is authorized to access or not access on your behalf (for example, I authorize Jane Doe to pick up transcripts on my behalf). Please refer to chart below for examples of scope of release for each indicator.
Privacy Service Indicators F03 Authorization to Release Application Information Application Status to SFU, Evaluation Result, Program Change Status, Documentation, Transcript Evaluation, etc. F05 Authorization to Release Financial Aid Information Student Aid, Student Loans, Awards, Bursaries, Grants, Scholarships, etc. F07 Authorization to Release Academic Record Enrollment Details, Grades, Units Accumulated, Academic Standing, Timetable, Completion of Forms pertaining to enrollment, etc.
Examples of Forms: CPP/DPP, CBSA, Education Funds, BC Provincial/District Scholarships, Formal Exchange
F08 Authorization to Release Student Account Information Tuition and Non-Tuition Fees Breakdown, Amount of Charges for Student who is Enrolled in the University, Due Dates, Payment and Refund Details, etc. F09 Authorization for Document Pick-Up Pick Up of Transcript, Parchment, Refund Cheques, Completed Letters or Forms, Withdrawal Under Extenuating Circumstances (WE) Documents, etc.
Transcripts and parchments must be ordered by the student prior to pick up.
- Select the Save button
Once a privacy indicator is added, you can edit or delete it using the EDIT or DELETE buttons.
You may need to create more than one indicator for the same individual.
These changes update immediately and will allow (or disallow) the third party access and authorization. People cited in the privacy indicator must provide valid SFU or government-issued photo identification when inquiring in person at one of our campuses.
Privacy indicators do not expire. If you don't want the third party to continue to have authorization, it is your responsibility to delete the indicator.
As the names of graduates and the credentials they obtain from SFU are public information, the Release No Information indicator (F02) will not prevent information about an awarded credential from being released.